IC4 / RaspberryPi

RalphTrimble

TVWBB Diamond Member
Hi, quick question....
I am wondering if you have a HMv4 with IC4 (3.3v Regulator) already installed (for stand alone HM operation), do you have to remove IC4 before you connect the HM to a RaspberryPi?

Theoretically you have to, because the two 3.3V regulators will fight each other. In practice it works just fine though. All my boards have the 3.3V regulators in them and have been connected to numerous rPis, so anecdotal evidence says go for it.

hmm, thanks a bunch for your speedy reply...
I was kinda thinking the same thing, prob shouldn't have two 3.3V regulators installed, but wasn't sure if it would actually cause a problem. I was just worried about blowing up the rPi, guess that's not a problem since you've done it without incident...
Thanks again for all of your work!

PS Building the HM went pretty well, but I found that the dark purple board made it very hard to inspect the solder joints after it was all assembled. The solder joints just seem to blend in with the dark color board. IDK if OSH Park lets you choose a board color, but the standard green board would be easier to work with than the purple.

Cool, was holding off on installing IC4 and was going to ask the same question. Although I noticed the premade HM Bryan sold had IC4 installed, so I figured it'd work.

Thanks for clarifying.

Well I hope it works, cause I'm the one that was lucky enough to purchase Bryan's board. I have already installed my rPi, got my 3d case, and powered the whole thing up with a wall wart. Just waiting for my wifi dongle to arrive so I can start playing with it. I'll let ya'll know if I have any issues, or sparks start flying with it.

Last edited:

Back