Newbie needs some pre-project advice...

RalphTrimble

TVWBB Diamond Member
Hi all, I am new here, been wanting a smoker controller for a long time but like the idea of making one myself rather than putting out the big bucks for production unit. The LinkMeter seems like just the project for me but first I have some questions....

First of all, let me make sure I have the basic concept down here.... The HeaterMeter is a board designed to use an ATmega chip to measure the pit temperature (and food temp) by reading probes and in turn runs a blower to stoke the fire to achieve the desired temperature. The HeaterMeter board can be installed into an openWRT Linksys router (connected via internal serial port), the firmware of the router is flashed to load the pit monitoring software (website). I think thats pretty much it in a nutshell? There is also an optional RF unit that can send the probe data back to a LinkMeter wirelessly, this confuses me a bit since the router is wireless already? Is this just so the LinkMeter device can be kept indoors or away from the pit? It doesn't seem I would need the RF option (and that little RF device seems to be back ordered right now anyways) but perhaps I am not understanding the function completely? Please straighten me out if I have something wrong here.....

Now for my questions....

When the LinkMeter is working I assume the website can be accessed from a smart phone or tablet (or PC) by connecting to the LinkMeter wireless network? Can the linkmeter also be bridged to another router which is internet connected to allow access to the website over the internet (or existing local network)?

I see the wiki says the LinkMeter needs to run on the HeaterMeter V3 hardware, but there is no link on the V3 hardware page to buy a V3 circuit board? I am wondering if the V3 circuit can be built on a V4 circuit board? If not, is there a source to purchase a V3 circuit board still?

I see the ATmega chip needs to be flashed with the HeaterMeter program, does anyone sell pre-flashed ATmega chips for the HeaterMeterV3 (or whichever version is needed to build a LinkMeter), or will I have to buy or build a device to flash the ATmega chip? I know there are many ways to flash the ATmega chip but I only have access to PC's right now, so I guess a USB programmer would be the way to go for me. If anyone has a link to a cheap source for a USB unit I would appreciate it, doesn't matter if it's a complete unit or a kit (or even a mouser project). I just want to do it on the cheap because I have read how smoker controllers can get expensive even when you DIY....

I am trying to find a blower from Mouser and am wondering how the HM regulates the blower speed? Does it raise and lower the voltage applied to the blower or is it using PWM to control the speed? Does it need to have a speed sensor on the blower? I am wondering what are the basic requirements for a blower to work in this system? Also, I am wondering if the blower in a LinkMeter setup is powered by the Linksys router power supply? If so, do I need to beef up that power supply to handle running the fan?

Speaking of the Linksys router, I have here on hand a WRT54G V2 router. I see the suggested router is the WRT54GL and am wondering if the WRT54G will work or do I need to have the GL version of the router for this to work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to take the time and reply to my questions....

PS My electronics and soldering skills are pretty solid....

Last edited:
Mostly correct on the functionality. The RF node is just to hook a food probe up that will wirelessly send the temperature back to the heatermeter. It was originally design to be put on a rotisserie and run from a battery. No cords to be all twisted up. Also not many people use them that I know of.

I don't know of a source to by v3.2 boards as everyone has moved onto the rPi for v4.0. I really would recommend going with the v4.0 as it has capabilities that the v3.2 will never have. It will add about $75 to the cost of the system if you already have a router (the 54Gv2 will work, but you have to be careful what image you upload).

The way I get to my HM from the internet is to use port forwarding on my router. If I want to access my HM from outside I use port 8080, have my router forward that port to port 80 on the HM and it all works great.

dave

Mostly correct on the functionality. The RF node is just to hook a food probe up that will wirelessly send the temperature back to the heatermeter. It was originally design to be put on a rotisserie and run from a battery. No cords to be all twisted up. Also not many people use them that I know of.

I don't know of a source to by v3.2 boards as everyone has moved onto the rPi for v4.0. I really would recommend going with the v4.0 as it has capabilities that the v3.2 will never have. It will add about $75 to the cost of the system if you already have a router (the 54Gv2 will work, but you have to be careful what image you upload).

The way I get to my HM from the internet is to use port forwarding on my router. If I want to access my HM from outside I use port 8080, have my router forward that port to port 80 on the HM and it all works great.

dave

Thanks a bunch for your reply dave....

I didn't address the Raspberry Pi setup in my initial post because I didn't think that setup worked with the Linksys router to make a LinkMeter? I thought it was just the HeaterMeter V3 board that goes into the Linksys so I am confused now... I certainly want to have full capabilities and the ability to keep up with future developments...

I have no experience with Raspberry Pi, I gather from a quick web search that it is some sort of mini computer board that runs on flash memory, looks like it has video via RCA and HDMI, Audio, LAN, and USB (assuming for keyboard and mouse?) Pretty freakin awesome, didn't know something like that even existed! So the HeaterMeter board connects to the Raspberry Pi, does the whole thing go inside the Linksys router to make a LinkMeter? Do you hook up a monitor and keyboard to the Raspberry Pi to run this thing? I'm still kinda confused how the Raspberry Pi fits into this scheme.....

Edit: Looking at the Raspberry Pi computers at NewEgg, pretty cheap... Wondering now if perhaps the whole LinkSys router gets tossed to the curb and you use a USB wireless adaptor on the Raspberry Pi to get the wireless access? Still kinda confused about all this Raspberry Pi business...

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for your reply dave....

I didn't address the Raspberry Pi setup in my initial post because I didn't think that setup worked with the Linksys router to make a LinkMeter? I thought it was just the HeaterMeter V3 board that goes into the Linksys so I am confused now... I certainly want to have full capabilities and the ability to keep up with future developments...

I have no experience with Raspberry Pi, I gather from a quick web search that it is some sort of mini computer board that runs on flash memory, looks like it has video via RCA and HDMI, Audio, LAN, and USB (assuming for keyboard and mouse?) Pretty freakin awesome, didn't know something like that even existed! So the HeaterMeter board connects to the Raspberry Pi, does the whole thing go inside the Linksys router to make a LinkMeter? Do you hook up a monitor and keyboard to the Raspberry Pi to run this thing? I'm still kinda confused how the Raspberry Pi fits into this scheme.....

If you use a the raspberry pi setup you do not use a linksys router. Its a case of v3 uses a linksys router v4 uses the rpi instead of the linksys router. With the raspberry pi setup the rpi handles programming the atmega chip for you so no need for a programmer

And you can get a cool 3d printed case for it from other guys here, and if you really want to you can get the 4-line display instead of a 2-line one.

So to summarize.

Linksys router + v3.2 board makes a linkmeter. This is the old configuration, though I have a couple and they do work.

Current version is rPi with a v4.0 board, 3d printed case and optionally a 4-line display.

Like Jason said above, the rPi does all the stuff that the linksys router was used for originally. Programs the ATMega controller and all that good stuff.

dave

If you use a the raspberry pi setup you do not use a linksys router. Its a case of v3 uses a linksys router v4 uses the rpi instead of the linksys router. With the raspberry pi setup the rpi handles programming the atmega chip for you so no need for a programmer

Thanks Jason,

I see, if I go the Raspberry Pi route I can use it to program the ATmega, good to know, thanks...

I don't really want to have a tv and mouse out by my smoker, so I am still kinda confused about using the Raspberry Pi? Would I be using a USB wireless device connected to the Raspberry Pi and then access that from a smart phone, tablet or PC? Can I connect the Raspberry Pi via USB wireless to my existing WiFi network and access the HeaterMeter from any device on the network? If so would I just connect to the Raspberry Pi's IP with a browser and the HeaterMeter website will load? Trying to wrap my head around all this, please help me get up to speed if you will.....

Yes. the rPi connects to your wireless network, then you just go to the HeaterMeter homepage with your cell phone, computer, whatever to see access it.

You don't hook up a mouse/keyboad, just the usb wifi dongle.

dave
Thanks Jason,

I see, if I go the Raspberry Pi route I can use it to program the ATmega, good to know, thanks...

I don't really want to have a tv and mouse out by my smoker, so I am still kinda confused about using the Raspberry Pi? Would I be using a USB wireless device connected to the Raspberry Pi and then access that from a smart phone, tablet or PC? Can I connect the Raspberry Pi via USB wireless to my existing WiFi network and access the HeaterMeter from any device on the network? If so would I just connect to the Raspberry Pi's IP with a browser and the HeaterMeter website will load? Trying to wrap my head around all this, please help me get up to speed if you will.....

Yes. the rPi connects to your wireless network, then you just go to the HeaterMeter homepage with your cell phone, computer, whatever to see access it.

You don't hook up a mouse/keyboad, just the usb wifi dongle.

dave

OK, thanks a bunch, I think I am up to speed on the Raspberry Pi setup. Sounds pretty sweet! The whole mini computer thing is very interesting!

So it seems I will prob go the Raspberry Pi route and build the HMv4 (and forget about the Linksys router), which brings a whole other set of questions....

I see there is Raspberry Pi verA and newer verB, does it matter which one I use? Does this one from NewEgg look like appropriate?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813142001

Also, do I need a specific USB wireless device? Or should I ask what USB WiFi adapters have been successfully tested with Raspberry Pi and/or the HeaterMeter software?

Thanks again for helping me get up to speed so quickly here guys.....

PS I recall reading about getting 3 circuit boards when you order, this may have been in a very old post in the forum while I was doing my initial research on the matter. I am just curious if I am gonna get one circuit board when I order from OSH Park, or will I get three? Are they the only source for these boards? Are there any HeaterMeter KITS? I use Mouser all the time so thats not a problem, but if someone has kits bundled together with the board I might just go that route.
Any advice on choosing a blower would be greatly appreciated also....

I kinda looked that over last night, slightly mis-focused on the LinkMeter section, in general I came away with much confusion. I will refocus on the Raspberry Pi section and see if it makes any more sense after what I have learned today.
Thanks again for your advice....

Oshpark is by far the quickest and cheapest option for these boards if you are in the USA. You can now order and get just 1 board see store.oshpark.com
I remember having the same confusion when I started this project, I believe everything will make much more sense now that you realize they are seperate projects

Now that I understand how the Raspberry Pi system works and realize that is the way to go (and forget about the Linksys) that eliminates a bit of the confusion. The Wiki info on building the Raspberry Pi version seems to be pretty complete and more straightforward, so it seems I should be able to muddle my way through piecing one of these together following that...
I'm sure I will still run into questions that need be posted here anyways. :)
If anyone wants to pass on any tips, tricks, or upgrade ideas for me to consider before I order the parts for the HeaterMeter and a Raspberry Pi I appreciate all input.
Thanks again, this looks like it's gonna be fun!

...if you really want to you can get the 4-line display instead of a 2-line one.

The 4-line display sounds interesting, has the code for it been standardized and released? What is the part number for the display, and what else would I have to change to run the 4-line display instead of the 2-line? I don't seem to see info about the 4-line display in the wiki, and in the forum I didn't find answers to those specific questions, but it would be nice to have enough display to show the temp on all the probes...

For the 4-line display I think we'll have to wait for RJ to show up. I think it was his idea that got it all going.

It is in the current code base, you could search on the forum to find the info, I just don't know it.

dave

The 4-line display sounds interesting, has the code for it been standardized and released? What is the part number for the display, and what else would I have to change to run the 4-line display instead of the 2-line? I don't seem to see info about the 4-line display in the wiki, and in the forum I didn't find answers to those specific questions, but it would be nice to have enough display to show the temp on all the probes...

For the 4-line display I think we'll have to wait for RJ to show up. I think it was his idea that got it all going.

It is in the current code base, you could search on the forum to find the info, I just don't know it.

dave

I think I will just give it a go with the regular 2 line display for now since this is my first build. I've got the Mouser, Digikey and Amazon carts all loaded up and ready to roll, just having the "DID I FORGET SOMETHING?" moment before I place my orders....
Thanks again for all the help.....

Last edited:
Just FYI, for anyone who may read this before they build....

This is how the cost break down ended up for me:

Mouser - $35 for HeaterMeter project parts list, minus a few out of stock items that I got from Digikey, plus a couple extra resistors...

Digikey - $22 for the blower, the probe jacks, some connection headers and parts mouser didn't have.

Amazon - $102 for 2 X 6' probes, Raspberry Pi, WiFi adapter, 8GB SDHC, 12V 2A PowerSupply plus a usb multi card reader.

The circuit board was $15 from OSH park, so I guess the total cost is about $175 for the HeaterMeter + Raspberry Pi with Wifi and all the stuff to make it happen (with two probes to start)

Last edited:

Back