New start up issues

DylanNC

TVWBB Member
I finished everything up today, put the openwrt-rpi file on the SD card as directed in the Wiki, pluged it in and I have two lines of black squares on the LCD. The Yellow and Green LED stay on all the time, all this using the 12v plug. I used the micro USB for power, the LED's do not come on and I get nothing on the LCD display, but it does light up. Any suggestions. I plugged it into a monior using HDMI, I did not see any error messages.

Went back through and looked everything over found that one pin on the chip was not in the socket, fixed that now everything comes on and the Yellow and Green LED stay on all the time no matter what power source I use. I have this set up to run as a standalone version not sure if that makes a difference.

OK after about 30 seconds the Green LED stays on and the screen has the black boxes across in two lines.

Yes, that didn't do it. Im not really clear if I have done everything right as far as installing software. I copied the openwrt-rpi to the sd card, pluged it in, is there anything else I need to be doing to get it set up.

When you create the SD card you can't just copy the file to it. You have to unzip the file and extract the img file, then use win32diskimager to write the img to the SD card. Just follow the instructions in the wiki.

I did unzip it and use the win32diskmanager, i have looked the board over good to make sure there were no shorts or bad solder joints, i am using the 4 line display. This thing is about to drive me crazy trying to figure out what the problem may be.

I can't say exactly what is wrong, but the LEDs on the HeaterMeter board should not light at all with any power source until the HeaterMeter firmware is installed on the microcontroller.

Sounds similar to what I experienced in this thread. I couldn't tell you exactly where the problem was, since I couldn't scope it out even with my big magnifying glass, but I can say that it was something to do with my soldering.

Must have gone over every pad on the board before the problem went away, but if you've already done that, this message wont be of much help.

You could plug the rpi into an ethernet connection and try to get to it at 192.168.200.1 to see if the heatermeter is flashed and reporting back to the rpi. Now that you have just the green LED on, it may be that just the display that isn't working.

I considered that too, but the top (usually green) LED shouldn't be on even if the firmware is installed unless there's a pit probe installed. In that case unplugging the probe should make the top LED turn off.

I feel pretty confident it has something to do with the HM board, if it take everything apart and plug power into it, I now get a green and yellow LED, I guess I am going to have to go over it very caefully and make sure that all my solder joints are good. My magnifying glass needs to be a little stronger.

I have tried everything you guys suggested, spent the last two hours going over every solder connection with no results exept now when I power up I sometimes get no lights, sometimes get a yellow and green light and sometimes I get a green light. Most of the time I get no lights, with two rows of black blocks on the display. Unless there is something I need to do different for the 4 line display, I give up.

Pics of board

693912743635613372a4816c1ebd4ee5.jpg
[/IMG]
782e980c2639b35017b9e2d28049a2c7.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Images are a little hard to see but everything i could make out looks ok, are all the legs on the shift register soldered ok? I don't see solder on one pin.

OK, I have gone over every solder joint for a second time, plug in and still get the black block LCD. I have pluged into a minitor to see whats going on at start up, not able to tell much. I have attempted to log into the device at 192.168.200.1 pluged into my router and via wireless with out any success. Not sure what else I can do except order new parts and try again. Any ideas on what I should try next

a3fe7600361c83e706d9493d179bdb13.jpg
[/IMG]

This is what I found when I finally got connected to RPI. It appears that that part is working, but the heatermeter board is not connecting.

Back