Cut-Resistant Glove Recommendations?

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Last week, I was attempting to teach myself the technique I've seen on Food Network a number of times whereby the chef quickly chops up an onion into evenly-sized pieces. This involves halving the onion from pole to pole, trimming off one end, and making a series of evenly-spaced slices first vertically, then horizontally, and finally at a right angle to both. Upon attempting the horizontal cuts, I apparently inadvertently applied too much pressure and wound upon slicing the &*%$ out of my left middle finger. Needless to say, I'll not make THAT mistake again without first wearing some protection (on my fingers, that is.)

I've "Googled" cut-resistant gloves and there are apparently a large number of them on the market, each seeming to have varying levels of support in their respective customer reviews.

Can anyone offer any suggestions based upon their own experiences?

Regards,

Rooster

I've looked into this as well, and the Norwegian market surely different from yours, but I ordered some cheap ones from dealextreme.com. I would guess they are not the best there is, but I have tried them, and they do offer a adequate level of protection at a reasonable price.

The offer I found here in Norway that suited my needs best, was a forged stainless steel glove. Over 200 usd for one glove.. Other offers was cheaper gloves, but I needed to buy 50 pairs or so.

I use the DX- glove, and wear a disposable latex glove over it several times. Works as expected. The knife becomes very dull if it hits the metal threads in the glove, and needs to be sharpened.

I have some similar to these -http://www.amazon.com/1678L-Resistant-100-Percent-DuPont-Kevlar/dp/B002FHEFS4/ref=pd_sbs_a_4

Cheap, slice proof not puncture proof.

The kevlar is what protects you.

Thanks - I checked those out and was somewhat discouraged by the negative comments - thanks to all for the responses - I guess I'll go back to my normal onion-chopping technique until I can find something I'm sold on...

Regards,

Rooster

The question is how often are you going to use them and for what purpose.

8 hours a day in a meat packing plant?

Occasionally in a home kitchen?

Prevents injury from chainsaw?

Keeps me from getting cut when cutting onions?

A steel mesh glove will protect you but it sure costs a lot.

I'm not sure exactly the type of cut that is. is it a julienne or dice?

I used gloves like this when I was cooking professionally.

First I would make sure the knife is sharp to make sure it does not slip.

For dicing I do something like this tutorial except:

1. cut the stem end first
2. lay onion on the stem end (which is flat now) and cut straigh down from the root end down to the cutting board
3. peel onion
4. lay one half on board and make radial cuts away from the root end along the onion separation lines.. (the tutorial above has the cut as straight up and down) do not cut through the root end this will keep the whole onion together
5. then rotate and cut straight down

I'm not sure exactly the type of cut that is. is it a julienne or dice?

I used gloves like this when I was cooking professionally.

First I would make sure the knife is sharp to make sure it does not slip.

For dicing I do something like this tutorial except:

1. cut the stem end first
2. lay onion on the stem end (which is flat now) and cut straigh down from the root end down to the cutting board
3. peel onion
4. lay one half on board and make radial cuts away from the root end along the onion separation lines.. (the tutorial above has the cut as straight up and down) do not cut through the root end this will keep the whole onion together
5. then rotate and cut straight down

The above method works great and you need not make horizontal cuts at all as the onion leaves will do that part for you with a little heat and stirring.

I only use horizontal cuts for mincing shallot onions due to the small size causing the shape to be much rounder.

I think it would be great though to get a chain glove for skinning bellies and breaking down butts, one could work much faster.

Dave, thanks for the tutorial - looks to me like leaving out the horizontal slicing would surely (and simply, even for a bumbling oaf like me) eliminate much of the "threat". I may go with the Victorinox/Forstner brand anyway as insurance. And thanks again to all for your input!

Regards,

Rooster

Looks like they are a level 3 glove

Dennis, I'm not familiar with the various "cut levels" and the relative protection each number - 0-6, as I see after Googling - each level affords; actually, what sold me on this particular item was the 100% Kevlar claim - plus, this was a pair, vs one lefty for many on the market.

Regards,

Rooster

Back