Loveless Cafe style BBQ Sundaes

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
I got to play a gig at the big Loveless Barn last weekend, and last night we had the opportunity to try fixing for ourselves what is now my favorite way to serve left-over pulled pork. If you're ever in the Nashville area, look up the Loveless Cafe. It's an historic restaurant west of town and near the Natchez trace that is very popular for southern staples, including fried chicken, biscuits, and country ham. Recently they were invited to serve at the James Beard House, and Bobby Flay once showed up to challenge "the biscuit lady" to a biscuit throw-down. I'm sure all the food was good last Friday night, but besides the cobbler, two small sundaes of these was all I had since I don't like to pig out at gigs. Loveless serves their's in little fancy parfaits, or whatever you call 'em, but the pint-sized jar holds twice as much. ;)

Pint Jar BBQ Pork Sundae

You can use ranch-style or BBQ beans instead of the green beans, but the Loveless folk use green beans, and I like 'em in it. (Ranch style beans would be really good if you made one out of chopped brisket, though.) Mashed potatoes is also more popular than the hash browns and cheese, but again, the Loveless folk used hash browns and they're nice with the cheese and easier, anyway. Here ya go with how I made the one last night, bottom to the top. Sounds weird, but it's fantastic, and we'll be doing this pretty often. It's a sundae, so make 'em how you want. Just don't throw everything on a plate. Not the same! It's more fun to eat, digging down in the jar. :)

Hash browns w/ onions and grated cheddar (or creamy Mac and cheese)
Southern style flat green beans
BBQ pork shoulder
Red sauce
Creamy coleslaw
Pickle wedge

Last edited:
I'll see what I can do, Mike. I stand on the front corner of the stage as the farthest left horn player and the only pic of last week's gig I saw cut me out. So all you could see was the slide of my trombone. I used to have a pic of me playing my horn as my Avatar and guess I need to go to FB for more. Listen, I know the sundae recipe sounds silly, but you gotta try it sometime. It beats BBQ stuffed baked potato any day, hands down, and all the fixings stay hot if at a party or something. Some folks use styro cups at picnics to keep the fixings hot even better. Sure beats carrying around a plate that gets cold while mingling at a social.

Regards,
Dave

Thats cool Dave, how about some pics of you playing?

Here's one, Mike, of me playing 'bone in the Blues Brokers horn section a couple of years or so ago. Oh well, I didn't notice til just now that my eyes look like I'm a zombie or something! As you can guess though, I don't get in the best shots, lol!

Dave,

That Sundae looks yummy! And the guy, with the large bore tenor ( ? ), Kewl !!!

Bob
(Olds O-23 Opera owner)

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob! It was, and come lunch today I was wishing that the BBQ wasn't already gone.

Actually, that's just a King 3B, but I'm wanting to get a .525 horn with an Fattachment, like the Bach I had back in my school days. Dad said it had to go when I needed a big bore for college, but with the stuff I play in the band above, I'm all over the horn.

Back