Need a pork rub that goes good with a sweet bbq sauce

Mike_V

TVWBB Member
I am doing my very first smoke using a couple of pork butts in a couple days, and I already have a bbq sauce I want to use on the pork the last hour or two of cooking. (If anyone is curious, it's Sonny's BBQ Sweet sauce which, even though it's store bought, is the best bbq sauce I've ever tasted)

Anyway, a lot of the rubs I look at have lots of pepper in them - I'm wondering if this would end up tasting bad once the sauce mixes in with the peppery flavor (a la Mr. Brown).

So, I want to put a rub on the meat (24 hours in advance and again just before putting it on the smoker) that my sweet sauce (the sonny's sauce is very sweet and very thick - it's definitely got a lot of brown sugar in it) will compliment nicely - does anyone have any ideas? I have to go shopping tonight as I will need to rub the pork tomorrow right after work
icon_smile.gif
Thanks in advance!

This is my universal pork rub base and it is pretty darn good with no additions.
1/2 cup Paprika
2 oz White sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbl lemon pepper

This may sound a little heavy on the LP but with the dried lemon zest it is not that much. remember that "sweet" goes with "heat" like butter with bread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Try the Butt Rub for Jane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that. I have used it a few times now.

Back