What do you grill more often at your house, burgers or skinless chicken breasts?

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
When Chris started this sub-category, I got to thinking and I probably grill boneless skinless chicken breasts at least 4 to 5 times more often than burgers at my house. If I thrown pork loin chops in the mix it goes up even more. That sure was not the case 20 years ago. My wife and are are empty nesters in our late 50's so we try to watch what we eat. How about you all?

IMAG0783_zpsee50ed00.jpg

Yep, I do those the most also, though mine look different when cooked........................d

I've never tried boneless skinless chicken on the grill thinking they would be too dry. Those look good Don. Hey David show us your handy work when you get a chance. I've been doing more spatchcock lately and just pulling the skin afterwards. Going to have to re-think that.

Don, nice looking meal, and you've got those grill marks down! But to answer your question, burgers. By far, most of the chicken pieces I grill and/or smoke are dark meat.

I've never tried boneless skinless chicken on the grill thinking they would be too dry. Those look good Don. Hey David show us your handy work when you get a chance. I've been doing more spatchcock lately and just pulling the skin afterwards. Going to have to re-think that.

IMO the trick to boneless skinless chicken breasts are two things. One brine them. Two is use a timer. The magic number is 8 minutes total. Four on the presentation side and then check by touch beginning at 7 minutes total. They will be almost always be done at 8 minutes. More than that and they start drying out. These were done on my Summit gasser.

If I may add something here...brine your boneless skinless breasts always! Then what I do, sear them over the coals on both sides, add some apple wood, and cook indirect till done. These breasts are fabulous and are an easy kettle cook. I always do extra too, they make an excellent smoked chicken salad for lunches or whatever. Personally, I use the Mad Hunky poultry brine, it is unbelievable.

Will try sometime soon. I cook them indirect under an aluminum pan for a bit then do the reverse sear, being careful to keep it about 155 before pulling, rest to let it cook until done. If I do them direct, I pound them to an even thickness and cook over direct, 3-4 per side, depending on thickness. Sometime I brine them, sometimes not, depending on how far I planned ahead, which is not often enough. Sometime sauced, sometimes not. Wife just likes them with lemon and butter, me I prefer bbq style, so all too often I'm doing twice the work.

By the way, that fancy grill finished yet?...........................d

Chicken for sure, and I'm always looking for ways to add flavor while preserving health to grilled chicken.

chicken (full breasts with bone and skin, remove skin before eating) and pork loin chops are a recent favorite as we are trying to slim down around here.
I find that the full cut breasts cooked at about 275 for ~ 1 hr to 1:15 come out moist and tender.

dave

I grill a lot of chicken. I marinate but never brine. The boneless skinless breasts will get some grill time indirect,
and more direct for color and grill marks. A garlic and pepper marinade gets more positive comments than just
a straight brine for me. Pork chops, the other white meat as they say, a couple times a week as well. Marinate them
as well. Always direct for the chops. Burgers and red meats have been cut way back. But not out.

Far more chicken (boneless, or with bone) for us then burgers. Generally my wife cooks the chicken... She usually cuts the breasts in half so they are half as thin and seasons them. Always good and juicy, she usually makes them on the gasser. The bone in chicken generally gets a seasoning from staters, chef mariachi or something and then goes on the weber.

Not a lot of burgers here... We do a lot of tri tip, steak, chicken, pork... Probably in that order. Love to have some tri tip or steak in the fridge for my sandwiches.

We certainly do more B/S breasts at our house. It's about the only cut of chicken my wife will eat. I did these on the kettle last night. Marinated in McCormick's Grillmates "Chipotle" marinade. Cooked indirect for about 20 minutes and then finished direct for some color and grill marks. Used Ozark Oak lump for fuel and a chunk of apple wood for smoke.

Plated with roasted potatoes, onions, and baby carrots and a garden salad

By far and away we cook boneless skinless breasts more often than chicken. I'd say I cook chicken breasts vs burgers at a ratio of 20:1. I usually just season the breasts with salt and pepper or lowerys season salt and then glaze them with sweet baby rays. Although I found an awesome locally made rub that has been my main go to rub for chicken.

894BA5DC-5FA5-4EF0-AC09-019DB7904B8E-438-000000B1EFCC9E57_zpsfacb2f0b.jpg

Definitely lots of boneless skinless chicken breasts. The biggest change we have made to our eating habits in our household is to cut out wheat....which makes sandwiches, burgers, etc harder to pull off. When I do cook burgers my go to is to use a grilled portobello mushroom as a bun. I've never brined a BSCB, but haven't had a problem with them drying out. BBQ sauce is a great way to hide if you do happen to dry them out though

Back