Issues with Maverick ET732

Bcromwell

I ordered a Maverick ET732 Smoker probe (Short, with blunt tip) from amazon, but having issues with it and can't figure out why. When this probe is plugged in to the pit probe connector it randomly keeps saying no pit probe detected and turns off the blower fan. It appears to be very random, might not happen for 10-15 minutes one time and every 15 seconds another. I am aware the probe has to be pulled out slightly to make contact and I am near certain it's not a loose connection/connector/solder joint. When I was using a ET-73 food probe it was 100% stable. I used multimeter to check the probe resistance and it doesn't appear to be a bad proble/cable so I am running out of things to check.

Any Idea's?

The model probe I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006XLWL7K/?tag=TVWB-20

Last edited:
What temperature is the probe at when your testing it? If it is around room temp you will get some erratic behavior. Once you get in the 90F range it should be OK.

dave

Yes, room temp. I haven't used it on the smoker yet because I was worried I had an electrical issue.
If this is the cause any idea why it happens in this temperature range?

D Peart is right on. The 732 probes read really flat up to about 80* so the linkmeter thinks there is no probe or it is malfunctioning.
Whatever you do, DON'T assume you're getting a bad connectino & solder the probe plug into the jack to make it work more better. Ask me how I know this :D

Warm it up & see if it works. Use boiling water & see if it reads 212*F, you need to do that to calibrate anyway. If you want it to read <100*F, you probably need to change the resistors (Look at some of the info D Peart put in the main v5 thread).

Back