I think I prefer the Silver over the Gold...

George L

TVWBB All-Star
After trying out both the Silver and the Gold models on my mini-wsm set up over several cooks I think I prefer the Silver with the single vent at the bottom. The tin can mod over the vent works just fine now. I like the simple, single handle vent control. Also, the coals seem to burn more evenly with the Silver, with or without using a charcoal ring.
Just sayin'.... :)

P1070108_zps6dfd9f7a.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to start my mini WSM project.
Right on Tony. This is one easy project which turns your SJ into a totally versatile cooker. I think acquiring the tamale pot is the hardest part of the project as they seem to be out of stock quite frequently.

remember you don't need any more than the volume of the original holes and the closer to the "top" of the can the less chance of blockage.

True that you don't need as many holes in the can but I noticed sometimes during longer cooks the ashes will reach to the 'top' of the can and bury some, but not all, of the holes. I think having those extra holes actually help in that situation.

I also went with the silver for my build. Mostly because I picked it up for free from Craigslist. :cool:

After I got done making the charcoal ring, I had enough left over to make an ash blocker. (used the pot bottom cut out to make the ash blocker top)

D89EB280-A109-4F61-9017-DCFC9E0CC3F5-5980-0000028BB1097474.jpg

i have about double the holes needed on my can. even with the ash all the way up i find the air coming in seems to push the ash to the side and keep things open.
kind of like self cleaning.

chad, how tall and wide is the exp metal on that ? doesn't it still allow the ash to block the vent ?
It's 2" high X 4" in diameter. The ash builds up around the expanded metal with very little that falls through. And what does fall through isn't enough to block the vents as the ash also falls through the vents. Even after doing a pork butt all day, there was plenty of air (and charcoal) to keep rolling. I'm thrilled with the entire set-up. :D

Right on Tony. This is one easy project which turns your SJ into a totally versatile cooker. I think acquiring the tamale pot is the hardest part of the project as they seem to be out of stock quite frequently.

I got a pot and took it home and it didn't fit. I tried to "shape" it but its way off. I took it back but this time I took my lid and all were off. I'm trying target tomorrow.

Last edited:
If you're careful, you can use a pair of pliers instead. You'll need to protect the rim from getting all chewed up. I think something like a paint stir stick between the pot and the pliers (both sides) should work fine.

Or just order the Vasconia pot from Amazon. Those seem to fit every time while the IMUSA is hit or miss.

Tony, finding the perfect fitting pot is a hit and miss for the most part unless you can get a Vasconia brand pot. Most people order theirs from Amazon but they frequently out of stock, thanks to the popularity of the mini-wsm. You'll find the right pot in no time and have fun with the build! :)

don't forget that these also come in other names also. so if you see another name in a store, don't just pass it by. the one i use now was a differant brand and it fits like it was made for the sj.

Back