The many ways to cook a steak...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob F.H.

First of all, after reading all the post regarding the Performer and how good it cooks...I hopped in the car and drove to Home Depot and picked one up. I have to say, I am impressed!

I am not an expert on charcoal and would like tips on cooking a mean steak. I usually buy Rib Eye or Center Cut Sirloin and like my meat medium rare to medium. What I did is I started the coals and once they ashed over a bit I moved them to one side and seared the steak and then moved them to the other side to finish them off.

If you have any tips please feel free....thanks!

You've go the idea - now it's just PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

I experiment with different cuts of steak, using hickory, pecan, oak and mesquite wood chunks mixed in with my charcoal (not at the same time), different charcoals (for grilling I am a huge lump fan - a fan of lump charcoal, not a fan of huge lumps of charcoal, those are kinda irritating).

I also experiment with marinades and rubs (Mr. P's steak seasoning - produced locally here in Birmingham by Charles Piliteri - my favorite butcher - is my favorite).

Mainly, I just grill at every opportunity. It's therapy for me, much cheaper and I get to eat the results.

What color is your Performer?

Pat

Pat,

I have a black performer I just pick-up yesterday. I have had only one cook on it and I love it. I do have another questions, when cooking steaks, as I mentioned above as to the cut and the doneness, i created two zones in my Q, but read a post where you should still have some charcoal on the not so hot side. In other words, have a heap on one side and a thin layer on the rest. Any thoughts?

Hey Rob. This isn't to special but depending on how thick a steak is I kind of what I look at, in order to cook it. Ussually I just pile up my coal in the middle (where my airflow is best, from underneath) and after a nice hot pre-heat rub a little veg. oil on the grates, go get the steaks after they have sat at room temp for 30-45 minutes, and slap them on direct high heat. I just flip once, after around 5 minutes and let the other side cook only around 3 minutes or so, maybe even less, I use the "touch test" or whatever you want to call it. I poke at it w/ my finger to make sure its not to stiff/done. Just Before it hits the point that I like it (medium, or almost med-well) I take it in the house and tent in foil for about 5-7 minutes. I use to wrap it up tight, but learned from the TVWB, (K.Kruger) that it was still cooking in the foil (duh!.... im a slow learner) so now I just tent it. Sorry if this wasn't much. I guess I'de analyze what I was going to do different if the steak was like 2 1/2 inches thick or something huge, but this works for me, nice char (which is what I like), with a well done outer part, and med, middle etc. If it was a huge steak I would go more for a reverse sear technique (now I would bank the coals as you described, and actually prefer the new kingsford comp. for this!). I think a search for "reverse sear" would bring up MUCH info for you. By the way you like Tri-Tip roast?... WE DO!
icon_biggrin.gif
!! Thats probably the aproach I would use. No matter what you'll love it, its a fun thing cooking over live fire.. never really figured out why! Have a good one.
*just to add, this is just what I do, theres probably so many ways to do it its not even funny. I just read a post the other day that many-a-places cook steak on indirect heat (the whole time), and are very good. that was new to me, and a good read.
Also wanted to add if you really want a rip-roarin' fire, tilt your lid to the side 1/8" or slightly more! but I kind of like char on my steak, is why sometimes I do this, depends on how its burning that night and stuff.

Originally posted by Rob F.H.:
................... What I did is I started the coals and once they ashed over a bit I moved them to one side and seared the steak and then moved them to the other side to finish them off.

First off I would recommend that you wait until the coals are all completely ashed over, then preheat for 10 minutes with the lid on. (Tip - leave the lid slightly ajar 1/4 - 1/2 " this allows extra airflow and the fire will burn hotter.) I like to use a 3 zone fire I split the grill area into 3 and have a double layer of coals in the first third a single layer in the second and no coals in the third.

I brush my steaks with oil first. Don't forget to season with salt before cooking. That is one of the most important steps in getting a great tasting steak. Forget the BS about salt not being good for you - Season with salt before grilling.

Regards

Its key to let the steak rest once it is done as well for 5 minutes or so. Remember the steak will continue to cook while it is resting, so consider the increase in temp.

I agree with Dan H above in that letting tender cuts sit out at room temperature for 30-45 minutes is important. It allows the steak to cook faster to the center avoiding the burned outside and the less than done inside.

After applying whatever rub or seasoning I'm going to use and letting the steak sit on the counter for an hour, I've been starting my steaks in a pan with some butter on top (melts through the steak into the pan) on the cool side of the grill (350-370 grate temps) lately so they can come up to temp without any direct heat while still grabbing some smoke, all while sitting in a pool of butter. I pull them around 105 and add another 1/2 chimney of charcoal to the hot side and let everything get really hot with the lid off. Then I sear the steaks until the temp hits 130 and pull to rest. They always come up to 142-145 by the time I've got the rest of the meal plated and ready to go.

Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
I brush my steaks with oil first. Don't forget to season with salt before cooking. That is one of the most important steps in getting a great tasting steak. Forget the BS about salt not being good for you - Season with salt before grilling.

Lately, I've even let my steaks sit in a salt crust for 45min to an hour before the cook and then rinsed them before adding pepper and other seasoning for the cook. They've come out really good...my wife really likes them this way.

My method is a bit unorthodox compared to what everyone else is saying. I'll fire up about 1/2 to 3/4 a chimney of lump, and once it's going, dump it all in the middle of the grill and put the cooking grate on top, followed by the lid. I basically have one "zone" in my grill. I'll let that sit for a few minutes, then scrape the cooking grate and put the steaks on. Mine usually take 5-7 minutes to reach desired doneness. I think medium is about 5.5 minutes this way, and medium-rare is about 5 minutes.

I don't brush with oil or anything, but I do like to do an onion marinade. Go here to see my first attempt with the onion marinade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back