Best Portobello Mushroom I've Ever Had

John R.

This is absolutely the best recipe I've ever found for stuff Portobellos. I did get it from the new Weber grilling book by Jamie Purviance. Just explodes with flavor. My only change is to add a little fresh shredded parm cheese to the breadcrumbs on top.

PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS STUFFED WITH SPINACH AND SUN DRIED TOMATOES

For the filling:

10 ounces baby spinach leaves, rinsed (use a lot becuase spinach leaves really shrink when wilted) (you could also used frozen spinach, drained)

Extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion

2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic

1 cup finely diced ripe tomato

1/4 cup oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced

1/4 cup pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

4 large portobello mushrooms, 5 to 6 inches in diameter

1/4 cup fine, soft bread crumbs (I uused packaged Panko breadcrumbs, but any would do. You don't need to make fresh ones).

1/8 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan over high heat, cook the spinach just until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer the spinach to a sieve and drain until cooled. Squeeze out the remaining liquid with your hands, and then roughly chop the spinach. You should have about 1 cup.

Wipe out the saucepan and warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until all the moisture has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the saucepan from the heat.

Remove and discard the mushroom stems. With a teaspoon, carefully scrape out the black gills from the mushroom caps and discard. Generously brush or spray the mushroom caps with oil and season them with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the mushrooms, smooth sides up, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until well marked, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a work surface, smooth sides down. Close the grill’s lid to maintain the heat inside. Spoon a thin layer of the filling onto the mushrooms, spreading it evenly to the edges.

In a small bowl toss the bread crumbs and cheese with 1 tablespoon of oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle each stuffed mushroom evenly with a thin layer of crumbs. Grill the mushrooms, smooth sides down, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the crumbs are browned and the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve warm. Serves 4

Recipe from Weber’s Real Grilling by Jamie Purviance

Thanks John. I just copied and printed the recipe and will try it soon. I have a few vegetarian friends that I like to find unusual recipes to cook for and this one looks like a winner.

Thanks again,

Ray

Back