20lb versus 1lb tanks

S.M. Swanny

TVWBB Member
For some reason I don't seem to get the same flame intensity on my Q200 when I use a 20lb tank with adaptor hose. All seems well when using the 1lb tanks. Any thoughts on why?

Thanks.

As George suggests, when you open the valve on the bigger tank, turn it slowly and wait a bit (10 - 20 seconds maybe) before you turn the gas on at the grill and light the grill. The gas needs to fill the tube from the tank to the grill before lighting. No need to do that on the little tanks - they hook right in to the grill.

Pat

Turn on slowly is to not trip the safety valve in the tank that detects surge then cuts output to 15%IIRC. To reset the valve once it's been tripped disconnect and reconnect from the tank.

Leave pressure in the line when done cooking. Turn the Q valve off then the tank. This will reduce the chance of tripping the valve next time.

Keep your adapter hose length to 10' or less.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all. I'll give the suggestion a shot next time I use the Q200; most likely this weekend.

S.M.,

I had the same problem when I first used a 20# tank with my Q100.

What I now do when I first hook up my big tank hose is let the gas run for several seconds before starting. Then I start the Q and turn it off after about a minute and wait 5 minutes. When I next start it up, I get full flame. I think I has to do with the vapor pressure of LP gas building up in the hose.

I try to keep the hose hooked up the the Q whenever possible (I turn off the gas at the tank). This keeps LP gas vapors trapped in the hose and ready to burn.

Jim

Why are the Q grills more susceptible to this problem than other grills? I never hear of people having this problem with other grills.

maybe not a big issue with other gassers but i have read of some others having problems. its the tank valve that is the problem.

Originally posted by James Trapp:
Why are the Q grills more susceptible to this problem than other grills? I never hear of people having this problem with other grills.

I think it is the length of the hose that amplifies the problem for those of us that use the Q. The 12"-18" hose most 'regular' (and of course, inferior) grills use doesn't hold as much gas (equalizes quicker) than the 4'-6' hose we all use with the Q.

As George stated, it is really the tank's valve that causes the trouble. The valve 'senses' the high flow rate as propane rushes into the empty hose, and shuts down thinking there is a gas leak. After some time, the hose pressure equalizes and the valve resets.

ALSO, I've noticed that my tank's valve acts differently with different hoses (just picked up a second Q on CL). I don't know what the deal is, but the 'nose' of the connector is longer on the hose that 'equalizes faster'

Kevin H.

Back