SJG vs SJS

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I'm looking into getting a Smokey Joe sometime in the next few months and don't know if I should go with the silver or gold. I haven't seen any SJGs at the stores around here, but Weber still has it on their site, so I'm assuming they still make it. If not, that makes my question really easy to answer.

Looking at weber's site, the only real differences I can see is that the SJG has no ash pan and has lid lock for carrying that doubles as a lid holder when you're using the SJG.

I doubt I'll be doing much travel with this, and if I do, I'm sure to clean it out really well before I put it in my car, so I don't think the lid lock will do much for me. I'm looking into it because I mainly cook for just the wife and I and don't need the big kettle for just us. Since that will be my primary use of the grill, which version would everyone advise I go with? Did I miss any major differences between the SJS and the SJG?

for yer situation, just go with the silver. get another grate or expanded metal for the charcoal grate and use lump. i love using the sjs.

the gold is still in production, but i've never seen it at any retail store. amazon sells it with free shipping.

i recently had to choose between the gold and silver, eventually settling on the gold's portability over the silver's venting. the main difference is the lid lock (which you mentioned) and the venting system. the vents on the gold's kettle are above the coals, to ensure that hot ash doesn't fall out during transport. the silver has a vent on the bottom over the ash catcher like normal weber kettles. this offers superior venting over the gold although i hear it creates a hotspot in the middle of the grill.

although i'm mostly going to use the gold at home, i wanted to take it camping and tailgating once in a while. using kingsford competition briquets i had no problem keeping the coals hot even with the lid on. i think the key to both silver and gold is not to overcrowd it with charcoal.

Thanks guys! I think I'm likely to go with the silver. It's a bit cheaper and I'm not really going to transport t anywhere, and I think I'll like the superior venting in the silver.

Thanks for the input!

to keep the lid on and to use for transport if needed you can get three 13 in bungee cords. move or remove the hooks on one end of all three and loop a large split key ring through the looped ends of the cords. now just put the ring under the top handle and hook the cords to each leg. it works great.

Great idea, George! I have some of those here at the house. That just clinches the decision; I'll be getting the silver. Thanks guys!

Back