darn wind !

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
smoking some fatties, spam and a small chuck roast in the mini. but just as i put the meat on the wind picked up. my temp was going up so i went back inside.
half hour later i went outside and the temp had gone down to 150. seems the wind cooled the metal down but it also won't allow the air to flow properly.
think venturi effect. so i got some cardboard and blocked off the mini. soon as i did that the temp started back up. so i guess i'm gonna go make me a better
wind block out of plywood.

Welcome to my world! Our backyard faces north, the wind pours down from the north...it's a constant battle made tolerable only with a wind break.

yep, once i put up the barrier everything settled down with the temp rising almost immediately.
so yea, gonna make me a plywood barrier. wind is not a normal thing here, jusy lousy timing.
food turned out just fine afterwards.

Here is what I use for Wind Block (Thermal Blanket)

Product used http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100318...10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=100318552#.UWxqI8ry1nw and some 1" binder clips.

8' of the Reflectex will wrap around the mini twice with a 1"-2" gap. The top is made from the remaining 2' of the Reflectex.

miniwsmblanket1.jpg

miniwsmblanket2.jpg

miniwsmblanket4.jpg

miniwsmblanket3.jpg

miniwsmblanket5.jpg

Last edited:
TE;
Your solution borders on BRILLIANT! It ought to allow smoking throughout the winter months without issue.

Good smokin':wsm:

Dale53

Back