First Cook limited success

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
Biggest problem couldn't get the temp up enough.
18" smoker
42 degrees, partial sun slight breeze
(altitude Denver)
Water pan 3/4 full of hot tap water
1 chimney "K" in pan, lit 3/4 chimney
4 chnks of pecan
Loaded up one slab baby backs on bottom rack
6 chicken leg/thigh quarters on top
Cooker ramped up to 190 lid temp and just held there.
Put wind break in place and it came up to 200.
Added another chimney of lit K after about an hour and temp rose to 225 for about 20 min and dropped back to 210
Took chicken out after 2.5 hrs and ribs out after 5 hrs.
Chick texture good but kind of acrid smoke taste so I finished them with some bbq sauce on gas grill.
Ribs looked and tasted pretty good.

I'm guessing with altitude and temp I need to go without the water pan--try clay pan. ?

Maybe try lump if hotter. But I here a lot of guys think K is just fine despite most books to the contrary.

Planning to reset for next weekend and go again.

Hey Chris,

The pros will weigh in I'm sure, and I'm not sure how being a mile high will impact things, but the first bit you'll probably hear is to try without water in the pan next time. Just foil it (easy clean up). Water in the pan requires energy to heat, and keeping it heated won't allow the WSM to get over the 250 or so range.

Also, you didn't mention vents. I'll assume you had them at 100% and still weren't able to get over 200? Sounds a bit off.

Lastly, maybe check the lid therm in boiling water to verify it is not a bum.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Jack Henry:
Hey Chris,

Also, you didn't mention vents. I'll assume you had them at 100% and still weren't able to get over 200? Sounds a bit off.

QUOTE]
Yep 1 top and 3 bottom vents open 100.
Water was boiling.

I'll check that thermometer out.

Altitude will impact your cook. Lose the water and go with just a foiled waterpan, you should be good to go next time. EDIT: You could try the clay saucer but I don't think you'll need it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm guessing with altitude and temp I need to go without the water pan--try clay pan. ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Empty, foiled pan. No water nor clay saucer needed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm guessing with altitude and temp I need to go without the water pan--try clay pan. ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You got it -- listen to Kevin and Larry.
icon_wink.gif

Hey Chris - Its fun wading in on a problem like you've got with all the right answers right above me. Everything I was thinking while reading your problem has already been written. Your next cook will be a booming success. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm ready to rock and roll now. Don't want to wait until the weekend. Maybe I'll "work from home" on Wednesday.

Now I just need to go re-read all the posts about foiling the water pan. That thing is HUGE so I'm guessing it isn't done with one piece of foil.

Just to add a bit on this.

Heat is generated by fuel+fire+oxygen. At altitude the oxygen is thinner so in a contained environment (like a WSM) this will lower your temps compared to someone at sea level.
Now that said, there is still no reason you can't "Q" at altitude.

As others have mentioned, running dry or with sand/clay saucer will help. I think you touched on something VERY imporant in your last message "That thing is HUGE so I'm guessing it isn't done with one piece of foil." Remember that you don't HAVE TO fill it all the way. Water pans are large so you don't have to refill every hour.... but that large mass that can only reach 212 F acts as a cooling force in your smoker. On shorter cooks you can likely get away with 1/2 filled or even less.

I would suggest experimenting with dry and low water amounts. Just remember that with dry you MUST catch the temp on the way up or you will fight to bring down.

Also make sure you allow your briqs to get good and hot before you dump them. I made that mistake for a while.

Back