New "Performer" question

G.A. Green

TVWBB Member
This is VERY cool and I needed to share with folks who would appreciate it (wife has not quite left the "dark side" and joined "the Force" yet!) Just picked up a PERFORMER off Craig's list - MAYBE used 3 times, bin full of charcoal, new set of Weber grill tools, new grill brush, little propane tank full and working, new cover ……..even 2 unopened bags of hickory chunks. $175 bucks!!!! "First, I'd like to thank the members of the Academy"!!!! WHOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

OK, what is the big thing to remember when learning to grill on Performer as opposed to my Weber bullet!

After you are finished thanking the academy, you may want to thank your lucky stars!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Great deal, congrats, and you will love your new performer!!
Pics of your 1st cook would be great!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what is the big thing to remember when learning to grill on Performer as opposed to my Weber bullet! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When I 1st got my Performer, my learning curve was temp control. I cooked everything at WAY too high heat. ( too much coal)
I quickly learned 2 things, from my friends on this site:
indirect cooking and the reverse sear method.
Do a search on both and you will find a wealth of knowledge.

I agree with Michele - Don't be afraid of a two level fire. Learn the sear and hold (sear over the high side then moved to the cooler side to finish) and the reverse sear (cook to within 10 - 15 degrees of your desired doneness on the cooler side, then sear over high heat at the end). Also, practice using the top and bottom vents to moderate your temps and learn that a little change in the air flow can have a pretty good sized effect on your temp, but it takes time for the temp change to take effect.

Cook a lot of hamburgers so you can learn your grill, temp controls, air flow and the like, and enjoy every minute of it!

Pat

I'll second what Michele and Pat have said. When I cook on my Performer, I use a full chimney, and dump it all on one side of the grill. Two zones is a beautiful thing.

If you have a gasser, kiss it goodbye. I've had my Performer for about 8 months now and have used the gasser only twice since the Performer showed up.

you can use the top vent to help control the temp on the performer (kettle), while it seems to be a bad idea on the wsm.

Clint and all
I read that to that you can control the heat from top vent only. When you don't do that with the smoker because of a bad taste that will happen if top vent is closed. You control that by bottom vents only on the smkoer. I would like to know more about heat control since I got a new Performer myself!!

Back