got the 26 but........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim C

TVWBB Super Fan
had some damage to the lid

there is alot of bubbles in the finish on the inside of the bowl. im thinking those wont stand up to the heat.

the charcoal grate has something different on the bottom of it.

webers gonna replace the bad parts but they are on backorder.really bummed but i know in the end all will be right

Man that stinks. You paid a nice chunk of change for that grill. I do not understand how those damages can be passed to the customer. It is not the shipping ( if it is the packaging blows) Yeah the end will be alright but...when is the end? I Love WEBER and always reccomend them. I am currently rebuilding a 1998 red performer and they have been great to work with. We have all heard the probs w/ the 22 WSM, I really hope this doesnt carry over to the 26' kettle. We have been waiting a long time for the larger size models. Please keep us posted of your customer service.

yeah they said i could go ahead and use it but i havent put it together yet. but man its HUGE. im thinking of building a table for it.
i cant find anything on the stuff on the bottom of the charcoal grate. i looked at the schematics for a 22 otg and a ranch and neither is like that. wish i got this before the Q&A with mike

That truss across the bottom of the charcoal grate must help keep it from warping under the intense heat of the coals. I notice my WSM charcoal grate has a slight downward warp, I bet a grate that big could get a serious bend in it without that extra support.

Chris

Trusses are not new: the previous generation of 26" kettles had the truss supports on the charcoal grate.

Ranch Kettles have 'em too. Hard to see on the schematic, but there are 3 lines drawn on the schematic across the charcoal grate.

I seen a DVD at a store recently on WEBER products and their stringent product quality controls and that all products are visually checked for imperfections before packed and dispatched.
So it makes you wonder if somebody was just being a slacker that day that yours went through or something is amiss at Weber.
I guess some things can slip through the checking stage and some transport companies are a bit rough with items at the depots especially when they may go through a series of relay depots before it gets to your home.The cartons get thrown,kicked,fall off pallets just to name a few things that happen at Transport depots.

It's kinda hard to think something as pronounced as that big chip off the side of the lid can be missed while packaging. My Old OTS lid is a bit like that but that's my fault because i dropped it on the concrete once and it chipped but is in still good order and hasn't rusted and it'd be an early 90's model i think as it still has the wooden handle which also is in good cond.I use the OTS as my chimney station while I'm cooking on the Performer.
The bubbling inside could have been missed easily if the light wasn't good and your right,it may not stand up to the heat but hey, it has a 10 yr guarantee hasn't it? Use the kettle and when things start to happen, claim it against the warranty.
I'm sure that Weber will come good for you in your case...just hang in there but don't forget to give em a bit of a serve for letting something like that happen in the first place.

Cheers

Davo

they received my pics and are sending both the lid and bowl. the question is when. not sure if i can pull it off but hmmmmmm a 26 wsm? have to make stronger legs i'm sure. and it might be hard to find a massive water pan/saucer too. probably never happen but its sure a nice visual image

got the replacement bowl but it had damage too! the handle hits right against the box and i guess that popped the porcelin out on the inside of the bowl behind the spot welds.

i guess they think i dont need more than 2 bowls because they want this one back.i told the lady at weber "gas up your car and i'll meet you ½ way to pick up the new one"

Tim - would Weber let you pick up your replacement at a local dealer so you can see the grill assembled and make sure there is no damage?

One of our local hardware stores is a Weber dealer and they've had the 26" kettles in stock this season.

Don't know if Weber would go along or not, but it's just a thought.

May be that the industrial engineers haven't gotten the packaging for the new unit perfected. Then again, the 26" kettle and the 22" WSM may be a little like buying the first model year of a new car model - best to wait until the second year until the technical corrections are made.

Pat

the local ace has the 22 wsm but i have yet to see a 26 in a store.weber will make it right. im using the first one they sent now.its not the perfect situation but im not going hungry. i just wish ez que would hurry up and make a rotiss for this thing

I saw the 26 at the local ACE Hardware. WOW! Totally cool! The lid is very heavy.

I checked out the whole grill. Didn't see a blemish on it. Hope yours turns out ok!

i got the replacement lid and it is perfect. the bowl is supposed to be here in a few days. i keep thinking of a 26 wsm. gotta find a way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back