Why am I agonizing over this? 18 v 22.

Joe Tucker

I am planning on ordering my WSM sometime this week but am really struggling deciding between the two sizes. I am not totally new to low and slow cooking. I have been using a New Braunfels Bandera for the past year or so with great success. I'm making a change to the WSM because the cost of the fuel for the Bandera is getting expensive. It has almost 1000 square inches of cook surface so I'm worried that the move to the 18.5 might be too drastic and I don't really want to have to roll my ribs or be too choosy about what size turkey I buy. My concern about the 22 though, is that I'm going to be wasting money on fuel when I am typically cooking for 6 people or less. It also seems like folks have a harder time controlling temp in the 22.5. I know these kinds of questions get old, but I'm agonizing over this decision (maybe a little strong, but I hope you get the point). Thanks. Joe Tucker

Joe, the 18.5" WSM will hold alot more than you think. Hopefully, these pic's will give you a better idea and help make your decision easier. I have two 18.5" WSM's and mainly use one, but when I have a cater to do, I just use two, but that is when I really need to cook alot of food. Other than that, 1 is sufficient for a good amount of food.

12 Racks of Loin Backs (6 racks on top, 6 on the bottom)
loinbacks2.jpg

8 Racks of Spares (4 racks cut in half on top, 4 on the bottom)
ribs2-1.jpg

28 lbs of brisket with a mod (you could get more on the bottom grate)
7-19-08047.jpg

7-19-08056.jpg

7-19-08085.jpg

50lbs of pork
butts1.jpg
butts2.jpg
butts3.jpg

2 – 15lb Turkeys
IMG_9490.jpg

IMG_9521.jpg

1-21lb Turkey
IMG_9494.jpg

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

wow, great pics Larry. The 18 does have good capacity and I regret selling mine, although I don't regret buying the 22.

Thanks Larry for the great pics. Looks like the 18 will be plenty. I'm curious though Trev, would you mind elaborating on your 22? What made you decide to switch? Why do you regret selling the 18?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Tucker:
Thanks Larry for the great pics. Looks like the 18 will be plenty. I'm curious though Trev, would you mind elaborating on your 22? What made you decide to switch? Why do you regret selling the 18? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest, I just got greedy and thought I needed more room (and a new toy). Now that I've got the 22 I don't regret it because I can do a 14lb brisket and full racks of ribs on it-- I'm even considering a whole (small) pig next year. However, I'm still a little sad about selling the 18 because of nostalgia-- I loved the way it sat at 250 for 14 hours, the grease-seal I worked so hard to build up, and even the few little repaired scuff marks that made it mine. It brings a tear to me eye. Maybe if I'd seen these pics by Larry a little sooner......
No serious regrets, really, just sorry to part with such a dynamite smoker. I take consolation in the fact that it went to a real good home.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trev:
It brings a tear to me eye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brought a tear to mine too....
icon_frown.gif

I have had a custom made Gator pit, Primos, etc., that I cooked on, gave them their fair chance and got rid of them and didn't blink or get teary eyed. I will never get rid of any of my Webers, (up to 4 now) without it ripping my heart out! I'll build a bigger deck if they need more room!!
icon_razz.gif

Hi Joe... I have both sizes. The 18" I bought off of CL last year and the 22" this past spring. I know one can do alot of meat in an 18" as Larry has illustrated but I like to bbq, entertain and assist people prepare bbq for their parties. With the 22" I can "q" more meat AND I can also "q" less, one does not have to fill up the 22" to capacity.

joe

Joe and Trev - what difference is there in the fuel needs? Is there enough of a difference to make it a factor in my decision?

I use lump all the time, Joe, and I get max 8 hours @250 with the 22, whereas the 18 could go up to 14 hours @250. I've resorted to using my OTG for smaller smokes (works surprisingly well) and the wsm for large smokes.
Some of my trouble with the wsm is that it's new and still runs a little hot, and also suffers from a slight out of round condition I'm still trying to get on top of.

Anybody here with a 22" run a temp control device (Guru or Stoker) and have any data to share on burn times for the 22" vs. 18"? I'm thinking of adding a 22" to the inventory and would like to hear what you've observed.

While I think the 22.5 is the most awesome dollar value inj a charcoal smoker there is, because of my needs and yes the nestalga too I would not let go of my 18.5 WSM.

I have about 25 cooks under that ole gal and I have made many people smile eating that super q that comes out of these fine cookers.

And she does wear her scars here and there along with the updates I have made. No even if I was given a trade even up a 22 for my 18 I'd have to pass. I love the 22 but only having 1 it would have to be the 18

Joe

Okay. I've made my decision. Thanks to everyone who responded.

I'm going to go with the 18 and use the difference in price to buy a Thermapen and a few other accessories. If I ever need more space I'll just buy another 18. The difference in temp sustainability and fuel consumption, along with the fact that I will be cooking for small groups did it.

Thanks again to Larry for the pics, looks like I don't need to worry about Holiday turkey after all.

Joe T... Glad you thought it out and made a decision. Congrats on your choice. In a response to your question on fuel consumption; the more food you cook the more fuel it will use. Simplest example is it takes more heat to boil 2 gallons of water than 1 gallon of water. It stands to reason that cooking more meat requires more heat.

joe

I'm originally from Central Florida but now live in the greater Nashville, TN area. Don't know anyone from Topeka though.

Larry Wolfe.... What are the rib racks you are using in those first pictures?? I understand they are two different ones, but if you could tell me what they both are that would be great.

I am looking to do 12 racks on my UDS, and I am looking for racks. I was originally going to buy a couple of Roaster Racks and flip them upside down, but was curious what you like about those racks.

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BMKindoll:
Larry Wolfe.... What are the rib racks you are using in those first pictures?? I understand they are two different ones, but if you could tell me what they both are that would be great.

I am looking to do 12 racks on my UDS, and I am looking for racks. I was originally going to buy a couple of Roaster Racks and flip them upside down, but was curious what you like about those racks.

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The racks the loinbacks are in are teflon coated and came from William Sonoma, which I do not think they make any longer. However, THESE look exactly like the same ones, but are pretty darn pricey....

The other rack was given to me and I have no idea where they came from and I have tried to find something similar online to show you but can't.

Hope this helps!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
However, THESE look exactly like the same ones, but are pretty darn pricey....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, was your link somehow hijacked? That doesn't lead to any rib racks.

Back