Wisconsin > West Allis: Double B's BBQ

Matt Heebner

TVWBB Fan
Double B's BBQ
7420 W. Greenfield Ave
West Allis, WI 53214
414-257-9150
http://doublebs.com/

SE Wisonsinites REJOICE !! There is a new awesome BBQ place on 74th st and Greenfield Ave in 'Stallis. Went there for lunch yesterday and was quite impressed !! Its a smaller place with a full bar, high and low tables, and in the summer will feature outdoor dining on a nice brick patio out back. You will have to share that patio with Old Hickory of course. That is the smoker pit they are using for their smoked meat options. A nice sized wood fired pit with rotis shelves very well known in commercial and competition applications. After lunch the owner gave my wife and I a quick tour. I got to meet the daytime pit master and she did indeed know her stuff as we talked about the pit, her seasoning and techniques. They use cherry wood exclusively (my fav as well) which they aquire locally.

For lunch I had the half rack of spares, baked beans, coleslaw and corn bread with a homemade pecan butter. My wife had the pulled pork sammie with sweet potatoe fries. My wifes sammie was very good. Pork was pulled, and very moist. The seasoning was lighter and also a nice light smoke flavor due to the cherry wood used. I would venture to say it was about as good as I have ever made it. Very nice portions. My spares were done literally to perfection. Soooo moist but still with a hint of 'chew', that is to say they did not fall off the bone (the place setting mats talk about such heresy as 'fall off the bone' and explain the appearance of the red ring badge of honor....a nice touch for someone unfamiliar with true BBQ) Taste was great, very nice lighter rub that really let the taste of the pork through along with the great cherry smoke flavor. The beans were very good...not too sweet with chunks of pork throughout. The 'slaw was just the way I like it, slightly sweet with a hint of pepper and other seasonings. The cornbread was good, just a touch on the crumbly side but the pecan butter MORE than made up for that slight shortcoming.

I can not recommend this place enough !!!! In a city severely lacking in what I call true Q, this place will fill the need. Anyone coming even close to Milwaukee really really needs to try this place. More than likely I will be there as I have found my NEW go to favorite !!! 10 stars and 4 thumbs up !!:wsm::cool:

Last edited:
Matt, we drove by two weeks ago and they looked closed up!! (we were at the fair park for Home & Garden show).
WA is my hometown, BB's used to be Benno's Bar.

Matt, we drove by two weeks ago and they looked closed up!! (we were at the fair park for Home & Garden show).
WA is my hometown, BB's used to be Benno's Bar.

Bennos is still there...it is across the street exactly from BB's. Had a few beers there just last Saturday as a matter of fact. No better place to choose amongst the many on tap.
The BB's place does have these weird shade things on the windows so you cant see inside and almost gives the appearance that they are not open. Even grabbing the handle of the door I thought for sure it was gonna be locked. But as soonn as you open the door the bartender will greet ya, and you will instantly smell the cherry wood smoke. Ahhhh...like a slice of heaven...:p

Double B's (HA...the actual name of the place, not BB's even though that's the name on the sign) used to be Bunkers. I knew I recognized the location but have not been to Bunkers in years....

Double B's is still open and apparently doing well.

Just before Christmas I met some friends in 'Stallis for lunch at TomKen's but because I'm not going to drive 2 hours each way and make only one stop, I had a pre-lunch snack at Double B's.

DoubleBsBBQWestAllisWI20171223_1.jpg

It's fairly dark inside, and the day being overcast didn't help any.

DoubleBsBBQWestAllisWI20171223_2.jpg

House-made sauces.

DoubleBsBBQWestAllisWI20171223_3.jpg

Since I didn't want to fill up before lunch I had the appetizer-sized version of burnt ends. They're made with the KC-style sauce and while I'm usually not a fan of sweeter sauces, they really paired well together. And the slice of bread came in handy for mopping the plate!

DoubleBsBBQWestAllisWI20171223_4.jpg

DoubleBsBBQWestAllisWI20171223_5.jpg

I'd definitely like to return and get a little deeper into Double B's menu.

Last edited:

Back