Take a Wok on the Tilapia Side

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
"Wok grilling" works much better in warmer weather... so, with today's temps again near 80'F, I got the plow disk out to "grill" up a few fillets of Tilapia and a plateful of scallops.
It was extremely windy today and that almost kills cooking on a wok... butt I did the best I could.
The temps took longer to get to "grilltime" than normal, butt we got there, eventually.
We started with the Tilapia first, butt that cooked so fast, I did not have a second to snap a photo
icon_frown.gif
sorry. Here's a spur-of-the-moment shot of the fish directly off the wok/grill. Then the scallops were tossed on... only a few minutes and they were ready... YummY! Sauteed Candy!
icon_biggrin.gif

And to top it off, we swooshed around some asparagus in the disk for a few moments, or a few moments more.. until just right. (sorry, forgot the camera on this shot).
Toss everything we got on a coupla plates, drizzle some homemade Aioli over the 'sparagus, plopped the fish fillets on an oversized buttertop roll (complete with a nice slice of Wisconsin Cheddar) and this is our Good Friday dinner.

I thank you all for viewing
icon_biggrin.gif
and a "Hoppy" Easter to everyone
icon_razz.gif

By golly Jim it looks like you had a fun dinner. Nice job. Many people overcook scallops. Yours looked to be just right. And a Happy Easter to you and yours. Bob

lemme tell ya Mike, I've seen the 22"ers for 35 or 45 bucks and weighing in at 7 lbs... they're as good as the dough you pay for em... but the Southwest disk is a beefy 23 lbs heavy and most certainly will last a lifetime (if you're 18 or 80 years old).
I look at it this way: You got the BEST grill available, the BEST smoker on the market, daggum if I ain't gonna get the BEST wok to use on my BEST grill!
icon_biggrin.gif
Dangwell worth the cash you pay for it!
...and no, I ain't gettin' any kickback from SouthWest Disk...

Dinner looks GREAT!

As for the plow disc I'd LOVE to buy one, I see they have the oak handles like you have but many other styles including a wire handle. Would you go with the wood handle again or would you get the wire ot other handle next time?

Thank you!
I like the oak handles Steve... and it's funny you ask, because before I did purchase the PD, I, too, could not decide on the wood or the wire.
So, I flipped a nickel.
icon_biggrin.gif

You know,

I'll bet that those discs would also work good for making home-made tortillas, if you feel like doing the work instead of just buying them.

As far as I can remember, they are usually cooked in/on a heavy metal platter?

RE: Tilapia
There are some good recipes on the Tilapia Farmers association website:

http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ata.html

We tried one on the grill a while back, where you "dust" the fillets in a mix of chile powder and some other stuff, then serve them with some doctored-up mayo. It was really good.

Nice eats, once again, Jim!

Way to go Jim! I like the way you pepper your plate like a MAN!
icon_wink.gif

Seeing those perfectly seared scallops...you just sold me a wok. Do you happen to get kick back from that company? I'm thinking you should because I bet a couple of us are buying.

Ron, they DO work well for TOASTIN/GRILLIN' tortillas... I've never made homemade ones...
no, Jeff, I get nothin' from David at Southwest disk... butt ya know what? They're fun to use, easy clean-up (i use old burlap bag pieces) and they're made soo fricken strong, they will certainly last 10 lifetimes!
I've even grilled thin pork chops on it. Eggs on an open fire... bacon is a breeze.
Hint:
when you want to buy one, call or email David and tell him his shipping cost is too high.
icon_biggrin.gif
He'll make a deal with you.
I think he gave me discounts that equaled the cost to ship it.
Great Guy and Great Product! you will NOT be disappointed!

I posted this a couple of years ago but thought I would re-post it for you all. My alltime favourite, straight out of my Recipe Book:

Tasmanian Scallops with Champagne
A special thanks to my mate Steve from Tasmania for this recipe.
This dish is cooked in a Wok on the side burner of your Gas BBQ or using the Weber Kettle Wok with direct heat. Once you have eaten scallops this way you will be spoilt for life. Trust me!

1 kg fresh Tasmanian scallops
1 bottle of brut Champagne or good quality, dry, sparkling Chardonnay.
300 ml fresh cream
1 shallot (finely chopped)
1 chicken stock cube
Let the scallops stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the champagne in the wok and bring to the boil. Add the scallops and bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, turn the scallops continually. The scallops should just be turning white in the middle.
Remove and drain the scallops and set aside. Bring the champagne back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and shallot, simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the scallops again and heat through (about 1-minute).
Serve immediately on a bed of rice. Serve the unused champagne as the accompanying drink.
For a different taste use 1/2 clove of garlic instead of the shallot. Do not use more than 1/2 a clove of garlic as the secret of this dish is in the taste of the champagne and scallop with the infusion of the cream.

A serving variation that I use sometimes is to get 6 small round crusty bread rolls - cut the tops off them and retain. Remove the bread from the inside of the roll, replace the top and toast in the BBQ for a few minutes until they crisp up. I then place them in a ramekin and serve the scallop mixture in the bread rolls. You eat the scallops and dip the lid and then the sides in the sauce. Pure decadence.

I leave the Roe on when doing this recipe but I take it of if grilling.

Cheers

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike F.: Wherever did you find that perfectly fitting wok?
Thanks guys!
Mike, you can find them here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DARN YOU!!!!!! Now I have to buy one of these things......looks awesome, thanks for the link.

Hey Jim,

Well, I ordered my Disk last night! Santa Fe handles for the ferrier appeal. As for the setup, how do you do the coals? Just a pile under the disk, allowing the handles to rest on the side? Any tips would be greatly appreciated so I can get right down to some serious eating when it comes in.

Good for you Mike! You're gonna love your new plowdisk!
I did not know they used shoes for handles, kinda cool!
cool.gif

Well, lesee.. yeah, i pile the majority of the coals in the center, also have some around the outer part of the kettle... you want it very hot in the center of the wok and cooler sides (not cold) for different heat zones... I've used both regular kingsford and lump. both work well.
you also want to put a little gap between the wok and the grill to allow air to keep the fire going.
i've made three adjustable spacers that rest on the rim on the kettle and the wok sits on the three points allowing approximately a half inch to 2 inches clearence. Resting the wok directly on the kettle may kill your fire.
i want the disk HOT. you could use two 1" angle iron about a foot or so long that would span the side of the kettle and rest the wok on them.
Your disk will arrive ready to use, but i seasoned it a little more when i got it. a fine coating of Canola oil over the hot grill then covered the wok with the kettle's cover.
near the end, after an hour or two, i'd flip the disk over on the grill and let the coals die out with the disk upside-down. you may or may not want to do this extra seasoning.
whaddya gonna "wok" first? lemme know! Thanks
wave.gif

Back