Chicken drippings

George L

TVWBB All-Star
A few days ago as my first cook I did a whole chicken on my new mini-wsm and noticed that the juices, instead of dripping straight down, were running along the wired grates all the way to the outer edge of the grate and dripping down into the SJ kettle, missing the drip pan placed near the bottom of the tamale pot. The cooker itself was reasonably level.
What I should do perhaps is create a minor dip towards the center of the grate. Most larger sized grates have these natural dips created by the weight of the meat.
Anyone else having this problem with drippings?

Last edited:
Never thought about this but I don't think it happens to me at least. I usually get a lot of pan drippings, but mine usually just burn since I let them hit the terra cotta plate that covered in tin foil. I haven't tried to catch them yet, but next time I'll give it a go and see if mine does that too. May be why the inside of my mini is so dark and seasoned looking besides just the smoke doing it.

Creating that dip towards the center of the grate made a difference.
On that first chicken cook the ash at the bottom of the kettle was soaked and turned into a pasty mess from the drippings working its way down along the inside edge of the tamale pot.

Back