4th Cook on WSM.....few questions.

Gregg M.

TVWBB Member
Yesterday was my fourth cook on a 18" WSM. (Sorry I forgot to take pics
icon_frown.gif
)

We did a 7lb pork butt.

I started with close to a full ring of unlit kingsford blue mixed with some chunks of hickory. I then fired up about a half chimney and scattered those on top of the unlit. Put close to a gallon of water in the pan, threw on the the pork butt, opened the vents 100%, and was ready to go.

I had a thermometer (ET-73) at grate level stuck in a potato. I kept the temp at grate level at ~240. The lid thermometer (stock weber) read a little higher. I also had a probe in the meat.

After 9hrs 15mins the meat temp was at 195 so I pulled it off and wrapped it for close to an hour.

My question is the time it took to get to 195 seemed to be pretty quick compared to what others are writing about in their recipes. They are usually closer to the 12-14 hour time frame. Am I cooking too hot?

The meat turns out fantastic and isn't dry at all.

If the meat came out good, and it sounds like it did, then you didn't cook it too hot. Whatever works for you is what works, plain and simple.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris W.:
If the meat came out good, and it sounds like it did, then you didn't cook it too hot. Whatever works for you is what works, plain and simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup! I usually cook 8-9 lb butts and I've had some done in 9 hours and some take 13 or more. Each butt is different. Don't sweat it if it came out good.

I've found that trying to monitor temps when smoking butts is fruitless. I've never once been able to get a single butt to 195-205 range. I use the 1.5 hour/lb. guide to start checking & once my thermapen probe slides in with no effort I pull it off regardless of the temp.

Back