Thinking of the Q (220) - looking for feedback

Robert C.S.

Hey all,

I'm interested in getting a gas grill and I was wondering if one of the Weber Q models would be suitable for me and thought I'd gather some of your opinions on this model.

First, a little background on me. I do most of my outdoor cooking on a WSM - including slow smoked and hot grilling. I'd like a gas grill to complement the WSM. I had a typical hardware store gas grill and basically gave it away at the end of the first season of use because I wasn't happy with it - uneven heat, lack of real high heat, and flare-ups just weren't worth dealing with. I decided it wasn't worth the space it was taking up in my garage.

The reason I'd like a gas grill is for quick and simple outdoor meals without some of the planning ahead that makes the best use of charcoal. I'd like it to be reliable, cook evenly, be capable of a range of heat from low-well-cooked-chicken to steak-searing high, as well as indirect.

I think the Weber Q models fit the bill, possibly with the exception of not doing indirect cooking. Correct me if I'm wrong but only the 300/320 have multiple heating elements, but the elements are all though the heating area so that you can't have an indirect side. I can live without that, given I have the WSM.

In addition, the idea of getting the 200/220 and putting it on a shelf when not in use sounds very appealing to me. I like storing things off the floor and out of the way. I don't think the 300/320 would be easy to store in a similar manner.

So what I like about the Q is that it seems to be a high quality grill in a very compact package. The idea of having a grill that I will use, will not be tempted to give it away in disgust, and still be able to put it on a shelf when not in use really appeals to me. I probably won't "travel" with it often, though I suppose I won't rule that out. I expect that I will use 20 lb propane cylinders all the time.

- I think the benefits of the 200/220 appear to be:
- better portability than the 300/320
- less expensive, though not by a lot if you get a cart and hose adaptor

- The 300/320 seems to have -
- two burners, but given the arrangement I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is
- more cooking area but at the expense of portability

- I'm guessing I'd find the 100/120 too small if we had company

Currently I'm thinking the 200/220 would be the better choice for me with the optional adapter hose for a propane tank. I don't think I'll buy the cart for it, preferring to put it on a portable table (is there any issue with using the Q on a table that I am not thinking through?).

So my questions for you all -

- given what I've described about what I'm looking for is the Q something you'd recommend?

- if yes, which model 200/220/300/320 . . .? I'm thinking 220, but would be interested in hearing other viewpoints.

Thanks for any advise you might have,

- Robert

i have a red q 220. i love it. i see no reason why you would not be unhappy with it. its actually capable of a lot more than you think.
phil hartcher is the resident expert and will give you all the info you will ever need. enjoy.

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum.
When you get a chance drop a post in the "Introduce Yourself" discussion.
The Q series is very versatile but selection of the best one to suit you is going to be down to the type of cooking that you want to do. You wanted to do low. The Q 200 series like most gas BBQs has a limit on the low temps as there needs to be a gas flow stable enough to keep alight. The Q 300 series by virtue of the small single centre burner and larger cubic capacity/higher dome can get down to a lower temperature.

As for cooking indirect on both - it is a breeze, I have a Q220 and cook everything on it including cakes and muffins. I actually do over half of my cooking on it using an indirect method. You can use the same method on the Q300 series (and the Q100 series).

I use my Q220 75% of the time and bring out the performer on the weekend (when we don't have a total fire ban)
The Q220 series is recommended for 6 - 8 people and the Q300 series for 10 - 12 people. I have cooked for 15 on the Q220.
I demonstrate cooking for Weber (Australia), last season I demonstrated using the Q300 which was a great BBQ and if I didn’t want portability I would have the Q300 as it has a better temp range on the low end and needed less gas on the high end. If you fill the Q200 series up with steaks they absorb a lot of heat and take longer to cook. Whereas the Q300 will cook a lot of steaks faster

One or two steaks on the Q220 takes about 2 1/2 minutes per side for a standard 5/8" - 3/4" steak. Everything is cooked with the lid down.
I grill skinless chicken breasts - no marinade or rub just a light brushing of oil and salt for two it takes 3 1/2 minutes a side and you can squeeze the moisture out of them with your fingers as they are that moist. I cook a lot of meat marinated with high sugar/honey content indirectly so I don't get the bitter burnt taste of the sugar.
A 20 lb (9Kg) gas cylinder will last about 36 hours when fitted to the Q200 series.
It takes me less that 2 minutes to clean after use and about 30 minutes to clean every 3 months (I give all my BBQs a good clean every 3 months as I use them 4 to 5 days a week. I own a Q220, Genesis E320, Performer a OTS Kettle and a OTG Kettle plus my toolbox smoker.)

The main difference between the 200 and 300 is portability as 99% of the time you are only cooking for your family so size is not the issue.

The Q100 series is good if there is only 2 of you and if you go camping or tailgating It would be a secondary BBQ not a primary BBQ.

It does not matter if you select the Q200 series or the Q300 series both are going to produce great food quickly and easily using a variety of cooking methods.

Regards

Thanks so much for the quick replies, you guys are awesome!

Sounds like the 220 is the way to go.

George - I've never seen a red Q, where'd you get it?

Phil - Is there a description of indirect on the 220 you could point me to?

I'll head on over to "introduce myself" properly.

Thanks again,

- Bob

the red ones are out there. i got mine at a ag supply store. they are a big weber dealer. the price was cheaper than a regular one on sale. look around. ebay has them at times also but watch out on the shipping and such.

I bought a red 220 from Ace Hardware closeouts on ebay. I have cooked on it twice - flank steak for fajitas and large boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I am mainly a charcoal guy, but use gas during the week when I want to be grilling quickly.

The 220 is money in my book. Up to temp quickly, love the cast iron grates, like the fact that it uses the little standard sized foil pans as drip pans instead of a little cup on a hook like one of my other gassers.

Based on my limited cooks, it cooks really well.

I have the folding cart for portability and the connector to use a standard 20lb propane tank.

I think it is a great grill for what I paid ($160) and given the fact that it is a Weber and the materials used for construction, it should last indefinitely and whenever I need parts to repair or refurbish, I'm betting Weber will have them at a reasonable price.

Pat

Bob
Indirect cooking on a Weber Q or other Gassers 101.
The easiest way to cook indirect is to introduce a reflective barrier between the food and the fire and lift the food off the reflective barrier to provide a convection style airflow around the food. This process can also be used in a kettle when the food is too large and hangs over the charcoal.
I use a doubled over sheet of foil with the shiny side out. The foil should not cover the complete cooking surface as the fire needs to breathe, there should be an air gap of at least 1 - 2"inches all the way around. The doulbled over sheet gives a small airgap in beween, which provides some cooling. Weber Australia have a roasting trivet which you can place on top of the foil. It has legs which lift it about 3/4 - 1 1nch off the foil thus providing a new cooking surface and a convection style airflow. You can put a cake/bread tray on top of the trivet/rack and cook your cake or bread.
Weber also have a vegetable grill pan and a fish grill pan which you can use for various dishes. A cake cooling rack works well.
I my Genesis I sometimes use a grill rack from an old stove and 2 pieces of 3/4" pipe to lift it off the doubled over sheets of foil. I can then fit about 80 chicken wing pieces (about 4 Kg (9 lb)) on the Genesis this allows me to do them Chinese (Honey and Soy) style with out burning them. I can fit 2 chickens on the Q220 with the trivet or 5 on the Genesis.
As long as you understand the principles you can use a variety of methods and cook some extraordinary meals on the Q that you would not think possible.
Last night I steamed 2 kg (4 1/2 lb) of mussels with: white wine, coconut milk, fresh basil, shallots, ginger, garlic, chilli, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a covered baking dish sitting on the trivet (no foil underneath) It took 10 minutes preheat time and 12 minutes cooking time.

Here is a photo of a couple of chickens that I brined and am cooking indirect on the Q220. Photo was taken after about 20-30 minutes.
http://i731.photobucket.com/al...nsafter30minsinQ.jpg

Here is a photo of 5 chickens being cooked indirect on the Genesis E320 using my indirect method.
http://s731.photobucket.com/al...t=latestsep08033.jpg

Robert -

Welcome to the board! I cook mainly on my performer. However, I just bought a used Q200 with tank hose and stand. I am very pleased with it. The size is just right for me and my wife, however I have cooked for 3 people on it. Being gas, ou can pretty much use every sq inch of grill space.

One thing is with the new gas valves, the valves need to be opened slowly. I open the tank valve then the valve on the grill. Use aluminum foil on your grease catcher, it will save you from buying the trays so much.

BTW, Phil is the King of the Q around here!

Bob

I just wanted to post an update. I did buy a Q220. I had spotted a red one on Ebay for $169 and then a 10% off coupon cinched the deal.

I've used it three times so far - chicken thighs, burgers, and some grilled pizza for a meatless Good Friday dinner. I'm pretty happy with it, although I have noticed that it is a bit finicky to light. Has anyone else had this experience with the piezo ignition? That is one place I'd like to see an upgrade - but I don't mean to focus on the negative. It's otherwise been great.

The things I like the best about it are the reasonable size (I think it is the perfect compromise for a portable grill for a family of four) and I really like the cooking surface. By the way, this is an awesome grill for pizza, if any of you are inclined to try that.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback!

- R

Robert - When lighting, try this -

Turn the gas on s-l-o-w-l-y. I leave the lid down. Wait about 5 - 7 seconds, then hit the ignition button.

I've not had any issues doing it that way.

Pat

umm, i'd advise not to leave the lid down. can cause an explosion. i saw my friend do that on a bigger gasser. ever see a huge ball of fire and the lid go up and down in a split second? shoulda seen the look and burned eyelashes on his face. i leave the lid open and wait a few seconds and then click. usually lights the first time. only time i had a problem was when the tank was near empty.

Not a good idea to light with the lid down. My Mate Bob did this whilst demonstrating. The lid opened up with a bang. You need to wait 5 seconds to light. If your having trouble bend the little box like bracket that hangs over the igniter down a little that should fix the problem.

Regards

OOPS! I got in the habit of lighting with the lid down with a Char Broil gasser that wouldn't light any other way! I've got to remember that I'm dealing with quality products now that work the way they are supposed to!!

Pat

My lighting procedure has been with the lid open, as per the instructions. Sometimes it takes on the first try, sometimes it takes quite a few times depressing the ignite button.

When I was making the grilled pizzas (which I must once again point out were really good!) I was coating the grill surface with cooking spray between each pizza (we had guests and I think I did about 8 pizzas total). Before spraying I would turn off the heat, make sure it was out, then spray, then re-light.

Maybe coating the surface fresh before every pizza was a little overkill, but better that than having a stuck mess!

It seemed that when re-lighting an already hot grill was especially when it seemed to take quite a few tries on the ignition button.

I have seen recent descriptions of the Q220 as having electronic ignition. Was this a recent upgrade?

Thanks again guys,

- R

Robert.
The electronic ignition was a new feature introduced in 2008. I don't know if they have a retro fit kit yet. I am waiting until the end of the year to semi-retire the Q220 and get a Q300P (with electronic ignition).
I have got to work up the courage to get "Her Indoors" approval.

Regards

Back