Serial Checksum Errors

MattBarga

What does it mean when on the configuration page, under Heatermeter Information, it says:

Version 20130228B
Serial checksum errors: 5

What does that mean? Should I be worried? What do I have to do to resolve the errors or view the log of the errors?

Matt

It means that the rPi is a little wonky with regard to the serial port getting overruns. I'm not sure what causes them, considering a 700MHz CPU should be able to handle 38kbit serial communication. Usually it is just a status update, which it gets every second so it isn't a big deal. However if you're missing configuration data, some things might not work.

You can see what data caused the errors by looking under Status -> System Log and look for lines containing "Checksum failed".

There could be an underlying issue with the luci nixio, or it might be the rPi itself not properly handling the serial port.

Just saw this myself:

HeaterMeter Information
Version 20140630B
Serial checksum errors: 2

From the log:
Aug 22 21:33:12 OpenWrt user.warn lucid[580]: Checksum failed: $HMPS,0.0
Aug 22 22:52:40 OpenWrt user.warn lucid[580]: Checksum failed: $HMSU,375,162.0,M

What does it mean? Anything I should be worried about?

My HeaterMeter build stays connected (and reporting the temp of my "man cave") when I'm not using it for BBQ. I've noticed quite a few of these checksum errors (38) after about three weeks of non-use (I need to BBQ more often!). Most of them are:

OpenWrt daemon.warn avahi-daemon[633]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.1.91.

There are several that Checksum Failed errors.

if the Heatermeter is working and you are able to communicate with it over WiFi, the Checksum errors are nothing to worry about.

I should update that page to have a link to the wiki's Serial Checksum Errors page which explains it fully. It's not a big deal unless the number goes up every few seconds.

I honestly think this is due to some sort of bug in the underlying LuCI linesource coroutine but I've gone over that code 100 times and blasted millions of lines of test cases through it but I can't find anything wrong with it. The next next version of LinkMeter (built on the upcoming version of OpenWrt) is probably going to move this code to C so I'll reevaluate it at that time.

Back