South Carolina > Columbia: True BBQ

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
I visited this place today. www.true-bbq.com

I have to say the food lived up to the name in that the BBQ pork was what I think of as authentic bbq. Similar to what I produce on my WSM.

They smoke all of their meat outside the restaurant with a big smoker similar to what you'd see at a BBQ comp.

You can smell the smoking meat as you walk in which is a very good sign and increases your appetite.

The pork was clearly hand pulled as it contained solid thumb sized pieces of meat with bark intact, smoke ring, and a good smoke flavor.

They offer a mustard base, tomato base, and vinegar base sauce as do most places in this region. I tried the tomato base and it was solid. A bit too sweet for my tastes, but then again I make my own sauce so I will probably always like it better.

Columbia, SC isn't known for authentic BBQ in general. We are best known for a local chain called Maurice's that specializes in mustard base BBQ sauce. The pork most likely goes through a meat shredder and there is little smoke flavor. Then a heavy mustard base sauce is added to cover over the taste of the meat. To my dismay, somehow people think this food is actually good and the place stays in business. Thankfully we now have at least 1 authentic joint in town, True BBQ.

Thanks for the review. Need to get over to that side of town and give them a try. I agree, for such a great BBQ state, it is a challenge to find great smoked BBQ in Columbia.

Back