Other Wifi adapters

Krys

Hi everyone. I completed my HM4/Rpi a short while ago. I neglected to order the recommended Edimax wifi dongle because I already had two other (but matching) wifi dongles that I purchased online for my old laptop. I thought I wouldn't have a problem with getting them to work (because they work seamlessly in other applications) but... they are not and I don't know what to do. I have checked connections, voltages, and all other recommended checks that I have found on this forum and on the web. Needless to say, everything else is working great, and I FINALLY smoked my first ribs 'almost automatically'. I just hard wired the Rpi to my laptop via network cable so I could see how it was all working while watching the graphing.

My Problem: I am very new to computers and have a limited understanding. My Wifi dongle (Chipset- RalinkRT5370) won't light up when connected to the HM/Rpi but works fine with my laptop. Also, there is no tab for wifi on the interface screen through my web browser when using the IP address.

My questions are: Is there a way to get my current wifi dongle thing to work with the HM/Rpi without too much trouble? Do I need to load the drivers for it? If so, how and where? (It did come with a cd with the drivers, I am just not familiar with how to accomplish this)

If anyone can offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Krys.

Last edited:
The HeaterMeter running on the RaspberryPi runs OpenWrt, which is a very specific subset of Linux. It is designed to be small and extensible rather than all-inclusive, not including every driver for every possible device you might plug in. There was no working driver for the Edimax dongle either, but because it seemed to be the one most preferred by rPi users, I ported it over to make work.

There isn't any wifi tab because there's no driver for your chip so therefore it doesn't know there's a wifi adapter installed. There might be other supported wifi dongles besides the edimax, but you'd have to install the driver from a supported package.

Back