Granulated Brown Sugar vs. Standard Brown Sugar

Mike Levand

For those of you who use Granulated Brown Sugar (dry) instead of 'Regular' Brown Sugar (slightly moist), I was reading Cook's Illustrated and they had difficult with Chocolate Chip Cookies and they discovered an interesting note regarding usage of the 2 sugars.

Not sure if it makes any difference on a Pork Butt that is smoked for 12 hours with other spices and mustard added, but for those interested, please note the following from Cook's Illustrated.

Infrequent bakers often find a hard, sugary brick in their pantry when they reach for brown sugar. A new product aims to alleviate this problem. Domino Brownulated is a granulated, pourable light brown sugar with a light, dry texture. Readers wondered if it could be used interchangeably with traditional light brown sugar.

To find out, we made two batches of Thin, Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies, the first with traditional light brown sugar and the second with Brownulated. The first batch of cookies was sweeter and crisper than the second, which were drier, cakier, and less sweet. We quickly figured out why the two batches were so different. We had measured by volume, and the lighter, airier Brownulated sugar was taking up more room in the measuring cup than the damp traditional light brown sugar, which we packed as we measured it.

It turns out that 1 cup of Brownulated sugar weighs just 5 ounces, whereas 1 cup of packed regular brown sugar weighs 7 ounces. Once we used equal amounts of the sugars by weight, the cookies were similar. Use this equivalency to determine how much Brownulated sugar is needed in any given recipe.

I'll assume you pay more for the new pourable product; as an option do the following. If you simply warm standard brown sugar in a microwave, it loosens up nicely and I find it very easy to work with.

Paul

They make clay discs that you soak in water and put in the bag with the brown sugar. They are reusable all you have to do is rehydrate the disc every so often.

Back