Learning Curve - Smoker Temp Management

PMitchell

I have been having reasonable success with my WSM but this success has been at the price of constantly monitoring the temp of the smoker. This was especially painful with a 15 lb brisket last fall.

Last Saturday I did a 9 lb butt and was having the same problems. My assumption has always been that the charcoal wasn't getting enough oxygen. As it turns out, my problem was that it was getting *too much*. The flow of air was such that I had to have the coals really burning to get the temps up to smoking realm. Anyhoo, at one point I got sick and tired of running out to mess with the smoker and reflected on the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results).

So I closed her up. Had the door cracked and vents all the way open. Closed the door and watched the temps. Dropped a little and then started to climb. At 240 or so, I closed the bottom vents to around 2/3.

Now that was a valuable epiphany. Temps in the smoker stayed steady for the next 4 hours. Without messing with it. I cannot say the series of events that led me to believe that the coals weren't getting enough oxygen, but I think it all started with not letting the coals get hot enough before loading the cooker. And the spiral of confusion commenced, reinforced by my unfamiliarity with smoking practices and impatience.

Anyhoo, I am sure there is more learning in store for me.

Hey, if it results in the quality of smoked meat I am getting now - or better! - I say, bring it on!

P,

First off welcome! Chasing temps is one of the rites of passage for most new users. As a rule, the more air that is introduced into the WSM, the hotter it will cook. Not knowing the amount of charcoal you were using, if you were using water or something else in the pan; it would be hard to diagnose what really was happening on your last cook. In the 2 cooks your referenced, 15 lbs and 9 lbs, is a good amount of meat and could easily be cooked without a the aid of water or anything else in the bowl. That amount of meat, put in cold, is a big heat sink. If you also added water to the bowl, then you'd need quite a bit more energy to get up to your target temp. Personally I'd skip the water and line the empty bowl with foil (easier cleaning). You also wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but I think it all started with not letting the coals get hot enough before loading the cooker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got to disagree. The best time to add meat, IMO, is right after adding the lit coals to your charcoal bowl and I say this based on using the Minion Method. The more meat in your smoker will require more lit coals to get to a target temp. Catching your target temp on the way up is much easier than trying to bring the temp down. About 40-25 degrees below your target temp, start closing off your bottom vents. Not completely, but about 1/2 way and monitor the effect it has on your temp. The Minion Method is an efficient and easy way to control temps and enable your WSM to cook for long periods.

Paul

Back