What is the Best Garlic Press?

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question. What is your favorite garlic press? I use garlic in almost everything I cook. I use LOTS of garlic in most things. A while back I had a Zyliss Susi which I really liked. I used it so much that it finally broke on me. I replaced it with a Susi II but this press had been flaking and the garlic I run through it has a blackish/bluish color to it as if the metal is coming off in the garlic. I have never been satisfied with the ones you get at the department store. I have been using my chef knife but that is getting old because I use so much garlic. I would appreciate any advice you can give me on a good quality garlic press.

Regards,

John

I rarely use a garlic press, I usually just go at the garlic with a knife, but when I do, I use the original SUSI too. I just checked and there are quite a few of the original style listed up on e-bay right now. Hey, if you know you were happy with it...

When I first started cooking I used a press all the time. Over the years it seems all I do is chop it anymore.
Not really a press but I use a Chef'n GarlicZoom XL Rolling Garlic Chopper. You open the top put a couple of cloves in and roll it back and forth and it chops it up nice. More of a toy I guess.

fresh garlic really seems to have more of a kick than the jarred stuff I've been using... got a head for $0.59 and I've used it all week. I pulled out my press tonight - it wasn't nearly as fancy as what you guys are posting, it's just a plate that squishes it through some holes. I pulled out what didn't go through and chopped it & threw it in the guacamole I made for dinner tonight.

I usually just smash mine with the side of my chefs knife and then chop up fine. Works well for all recipes and you can just adjust the size by chopping bigger or smaller. I used to use a press like listed on the front page at Amazon and it broke at the hinge and never got around to replacing it...

If you want to take a garlic head and split it into the individual heads and skin the cloves too you can this. Take two like size metal mixing bowls and put the garlic head in one and cover it with the other. Shake it around fairly hard for a few seconds and it separates and skins the cloves. May have to do it a few times but it beats hand peeling them.

it's gotta be my computer... I only see his chest, cannot scroll to watch the video or go full screen... :rolleyes:

Kuhn Rikon Easy-Squeeze Garlic Press won America's Test Kitchen's testing of presses. "A longer handle and a shorter distance between the pivot point and the plunger help make pressing garlic less work." Stainless steel; I always rinse garlic from my press right after using and haven't had any issues.

41e8Ulmy5QL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XR8B2E/?tag=TVWB-20

Let us know what you choose. All options are probably good. To quote (loosely) Alton Brown, a garlic press is a unitasker. That's why I use the side of my chefs knife or a clever to smash the garlic then dice with the knife as needed. I will admit that I have that silicon tube to roll the clove out of the outer husk. This way there is no garlic smell on my fingers for a few days. Not that that is a bad thing. Garlic is one of my favorite things to cook with.

Back