Must Haves for our Hobby

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
A friend of mine just got a job at a butcher shop here in the Midlothian area of Virginia. Its a fairly new shop. I was taliking to him and the owner and they want to expand their product line to include more cooking tools, smoke wood, rubs, sauces, etc. I told him I would try to compile a list of things he might be able to stock that would be the most useful things. My favorite gadget is probably my thermopen. I doubt he will stock them or any kitchen knives. I know I would like to see him stock some Charcuterie supplies (pink salt, maple suar, casings, etc.) and hard to find things that would bring people in that would otherwise not be there. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

A good selection of wood chips and chunks. Everybody has hickory and mesquite but hardly anybody has apple, oak, alder, etc..

If he can carry FRESH spice's and sell them next to a cheap coffe/ spice grinder that's a plus right there. And you be suprised by how many Butcher's DO sell great quilty knife's at resonable price's.

I think the charcuterie items would be useful, as would jerkey-making items. It's hard to find a lot of this stuff without paying shipping and waiting for delivery.

I spoke with the owner yesterday. He already carries Wicked Lump and some smoke wood chips. I think I'm going to gather some wood for him and package it for him and see how it goes. I don't use a lot of lump. Any suggetsed brands? We also talked about him carrying some knives. I was thinking the fibrox handled ones. Any suggestions on those?

I would expect that most people who are shopping in a real butcher store already know how to cook and has a set of knives.

Good thermometers would be an item to carry, especially probe thermometers for cooking larger cuts. Everyone has a probe thermometer but they either hate it, don't use it, or can't find it. Thermapen isn't usually too keen on retail sales, and they're really expensive to stock, but other folks like Polder and Taylor make good therms for retail sales.

I would second the suggestion for good spices, but you need to have turnover to keep them fresh. Pre-mixed commercial rubs and sauces might sell good and keep for a decent amount of time.

Something my local butcher shop carries that you may not expect, good pasta and sauce. They pick up pasta from the best pasta shop in town and keep some in the freezer. This assumes that your local pasta shop is far enough away that people don't want to drive there. Of course the butcher also sells related proteins that go well with pasta such as ground beef and Italian style sausage.

I would say he should carry a stock of digital, wired probe thermometers and push them hard.

I think its the single most important tool I own and now that I know how to use it I have the confidence to cook just about anything.

I pushed one on my bro-in-law, he finally got one and thanked me because he hasn't eaten over cooked meat since.

I can never figure out why more people don't use them, its not like they are all that costly.

Foils, foil pans, coolers, skewers, string, fancy toothpicks, variety of bbq rubs, lighters, injectors / injections, utencils, brushes, wooden spoons, grill cleaning supplies, cases of cooking oil, grill spray water bottles that promote the place. Buy some and stick with what you use and whatever sells.

To John's point, BBQ Galore in 4S ranch has seemingly increased their variety over time. They finally got oak, and have always had apple, pecan, hickory, and I believe mesquite and cherry.

For me, it was the WSM of course, then the chimney starter, then the Maverich ET-73. Some cheap tongs helped too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim L.:
To John's point, BBQ Galore in 4S ranch has seemingly increased their variety over time. They finally got oak, and have always had apple, pecan, hickory, and I believe mesquite and cherry.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't mean to toot my own horn, but if you are in North San Diego County or Riverside County. We (Patio World) carry a lot of chips and chunks. Even wine barrel and whiskey barrel.

Back