ABT's stuffed with pork and pineapple

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
I came across this ABT recipe in a book I checked out from the library called, "BBQ Makes Everything Better", by Aaron Chronister and Jason Day. (They also have the "Bacon Explosion" recipe.)

For a dozen peppers, mix up 8oz of cream cheese, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cayenne, 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple, and a cup of pulled pork. Wrap with half a strip of bacon and hold in place with a toothpick. Sprinkle with a sweet rub. They suggest 250 for 1.5 hrs, but I cooked for 45 minutes with my Performer gauge hovering around 350. My fire was about 3/4 a chimney of Kbb with one chunk of cherry thrown on top, and this was probably the tastiest ABT's I've ever grilled. Next time I do a butt cook I plan on prepping and foodsavering a bunch for the freezer to smoke at a later date.

20A5890C-4F74-4505-B18C-0956BB7AD9D5-149-00000006CB16EF02_zps44edaf90.jpg

Dave, those look great! When you mentioned the crushed pineapple I got as excited about making them again as I did when I first heard about them! I had been adding turbinado sugar or honey for a bit of sweet to go with the hot.

Thanks for the recipe!

You're welcome, Mike, and I agree that it's best to counter the heat with sweet. The pulled pork, pineapple, and cream cheese really work together in this recipe, and I guess you could even make it sweeter by mixing in some sugar with the filling as you've been doing already. Matter of fact, thanks for the suggestion. Think I'll do that next time.

I started using the pineapple cream cheese about a year back and it's by far my favorite flavor. Adds some sweet to the heat. If I can't find the pineapple flavored CC, I just do what you did and add the crushed pineapple to regular CC. Great post!

I started using the pineapple cream cheese about a year back and it's by far my favorite flavor. Adds some sweet to the heat. If I can't find the pineapple flavored CC, I just do what you did and add the crushed pineapple to regular CC. Great post!

Thanks, J. Next time I smoke butts I'm going to prep some ABT's with this recipe, but use my foodsaver to bag and freeze for appetizers on demand. :)

Those look really good Dave. I always keep some PP on hand in the freezer.
Great idea. Getting anxious for better BBQ weather.

Back