Chicken wings as I like it. Low and slow !

Stefan

TVWBB Member
Hi,
my name is Stefan and I'm a newbee on this forum. If you don't mind I like to share my favourite chicken wings recipe with you
I also prepared a little video for you where you can see how I make it.

http://youtu.be/fPsTA1M8uuY

What do you need?

Salty soy sauce................. 1 litre
Worchester sauce ..............just a few sprinkles
Brown sugar....................... just a cup
Chopped garlic................... 2-4 cloves.... or more if you want to be alone :))

Let it cook a litle bit so the sugar is solved in the sauce. Then let it cool down.

For the topping.

Ketchup....................... half a bottle
Worchester sauce......... a few sprinkles
Salt and Pepper............. as you like it
Chopped garlic............... one clove
Apple juice..................... half a cup

Let it cook some minutes and then let it cool down

Wash the wings and pour over the wings with the soy marinade.
Let them rest for about 2 hours.

Prepare your grill with a two zone heat for indirect cooking.
Sear the wings a little bit. And then put tem on the cool side of the grill.
Close the lid and let them cook about 1 hour with about 150°C / 300°F

After one hour flip them and let them cook another hour.

Then sear them again if you want a very crusty skin.
Plate them up with fresh salad and baguette. Put some of yout ketchup sauce on the top.

Enjoy.

Comments are welcome

Stefan

These look great and love that you brine your wings. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe. It would be handy for those that like to "color within the lines" if you had measures in grams or ounces, whatever you are used to using. I understand the "pinch of that" and "dollop of this" approach. We use it when we are stuck with grocery store BBQ sauce and want a flavor profile we prefer. That goes hand in hand with a spoon to keep tasting as we make our "adjustments". But since ketchup comes in many different sized containers, a "half bottle" can be quite ... variable? :)

I just wanted to follow up on this as I made this recipe for Fathers Day. I took some liberties with it...I smoke-roasted the wings in my WSM after marinating .

A SALUTE to Stefan !! They were excellent. I kinda had my doubts about the sauce...which I used as a glaze instead of a finishing sauce....for the reason as it seems almost too simple. I was fearing a 'ketchup-y' flavor but it turned out excellent !! I heated and reduced the sauce by at least a third, and it made a nice thick glaze. I glazed them after the first 40 min, and again in another 40 min, and then a final glaze 10 min before I pulled them off. Yep, 10 pounds of wings gone in like 20 min. I would say they were a hit !!

I do have to mention that a liter (ha.. had to look up liter to cup conversion) of soy does in fact make one salty marinade, and that does transfer somewhat to the wings. I omitted the salt completely in the sauce and did not miss it at all. As far as measuremants...hey that's the fun of experimenting. I just kept adding this and that until it turned out how I liked it.

Ya know I am horrible about taking before, during, and after pictures. I almost always take the before, and no during or after. I have to get better about this.
I do not have any pictures to share but rest assured that these disappeared about as fast as I set them out.. They were appreciated by all.

Back