My first alarm script experience . . .

D Peart

TVWBB Pro
I cooked some ribs Sunday and tried out the alarm scripts for the first time.

I just used the simple example from the WIKI that would send me a text message for a too high and too low pit temperature.

Not sure how I did it, but I must have spammed myself text messages, because I'm still getting them today :)

Hoping that some day soon, I stop getting them as the ribs have already been eaten . . .

My word of warning, be careful on how often the high alarm gets sent to yourself as you may be getting them for days.

dave

That is strange. I can't reproduce this sort of behavior. When my alarm goes of it goes off once, sends an email and is done until the next time it crosses the alarm point (which is the next day for me because I have my test alarm at ambient temperature). Just spent all day again today letting it go and it didn't email more than once per crossing. :/

Bryan,
I sent myself a text via email and found that it actually replicated itself so I called the phone company help desk. they had me soft reset my phone and it appears to have fixed the issue. It appears that my phone was not "telling" the tower that I received the text messages so it kept sending them to me.

Sorry about the confusion,
dave

That's good news! I was thinking I had made a bonehead error in the code like I am wont to do from time to time. Your report actually got me looking at the code a bit more and I think I have another change that can make it work even more like one would expect. The low alarm triggers at X.9 degrees for X currently, to save code space. That's not really intuitive so I'm going to change it so it triggers properly at X.0 if my testing confirms my expectations. So, see, something good may have come out of you getting texted constantly for a day.

Back