Anyone else use cast iron on a glass top?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I'm talking about non-enameled ware.
We're all electric, and I use regular cast iron skillets on our glass top stove all the time.
I'm careful about not sliding or dropping anything.
Don't see any scratches.

Just wondered if others use it on a glass top too.

I believe they suggest you do not. My concern would be two fold A) it could easily scratch the glass, and b) glass top burners shut off if the heat gets too hot which would seem a problem with something that retains heat like a cast iron.

Larry Wolfe has been doing Youtube videos lately and I see him use his CI skillet all of the time on is range. I thought it was a no no too.

I know they say not to, that's why I do it.;)

The stove burner has never shut off, and the glass has never scratched.
YMMV

I aren't to smart either , I guess. I use my old cast iron on a glass top all the time. As Bob says, dont slide or drop on it and you will be fine.
Our next stove(top) will be induction so all our non-steel stuff is slowly going away.

we have also.
although, liz recently bought a pan with GUY'S name on it, made of cast iron, heats like cast iron, butt is covered underneath with enamel.
works good enough... and it's a big 12 inches-foot huge ;)

I'll say that I do it all the time! But then again, remember that I rent my home in Birmingham so the appliances won't be leaving with me when I move out! Haha, but I haven't see any harm at all so far. I will say though that it does shut off the heat when it gets hot and that can be really annoying when trying to get a pan rocket hot to sear. Other than that though, works great.

Cast Iron and Glass Cooktops

I use my cast iron on my glass cook top almost daily. I try to be careful not to slide it around too much, and I never drop it on anything.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about scratches. Glass is brittle, but in most formulations it's harder than steel, let alone cast iron. That's not to say that dragging a heavy pan around can't scratch the cooktop, but it's not something that'll happen if you're careful. If you're worried about it, take some fine sandpaper (get the wet/dry stuff targeted at automotive use), and smooth out any rough edges on the bottom of your cast iron pan. That'll further reduce any chance of scratches. However, don't forget to reseason the bottom after sanding it, if you do that.

As for using cast iron on glass cooktops in general, my understanding is that you'll get much better heating from flat bottomed pans (some of the older cast iron pans have a raised ring/ridge around the bottom), but I think just about all modern cast iron pans are made that way.

All in all, cast iron rocks. Cook with it, including on glass cooktops, and enjoy your awesome pan. ;-)

I found this guide from an individual, not a manufacturer:

Make sure the glass top is clean before using cast iron on it. Particles of food or dried spills can cause scratches when a heavy cast-iron skillet or pan is placed on top of them. Always use a cleaner recommended for glass-top ranges and a cleaning cloth with no abrasive surfaces.

Examine the bottom of the cookware for dried-on food before each use. Just as particles on the range can cause scratches, substances on the bottoms of skillets or pans can do the same.

Use potholders when moving cast-iron cookware, as it gets hot very quickly. This will prevent an unexpected burn, which would likely result in dropped cookware and a damaged range top.

Avoid pulling the cookware from one place to another. The rough texture of cast iron scratches easily, so always pick up the cast iron when moving it around.

Place the cookware onto the range top gently. Remember, it is very heavy, and if slammed or dropped onto the glass it may crack or shatter the surface of the range.

I have a glass top and use cast iron all the time. Probably not suppose to but I have a glass top and I like cast iron. So...oh well.

Back