Oklahoma Joes ribs?

B-Hansen

I was in KC last month and ate at Oklahoma Joes. I liked it so much that when I got home I decided to order a WSM!! Now, the question, the ribs there were served dry, with sauce on the side if you wanted but it looked like the meat had had sauce put on it during the cook, or maybe a mop of some sort. Can anyone tell me how to clone those ribs on a WSM?

I too have been to OK Joes, and yes, their ribs were some of the best I've ever had*, and were probably part of the reason why I started smoking as well.

Unfortunately, I doubt you will find much info on their specific rib method. But don't despair, you might be surprised to know that you will soon be able to make ribs BETTER than OK Joes if you are patient, willing to learn and practice. Once mastered, the wsm makes bbq so simple, it's just a matter of devising a rub and sauce that fits your personal preferences exactly (something no restaurant could ever do).

In the meantime (while on your way to zen like mastery of your personalized perfect rib), OK Joes markets a line of sauces under the label "cowtown." I'm not sure what the status of the line is right now, last I checked my local source was out and I think the shop owner said something about the company changing things. I prefer the "night of the living bbq" which has a bit more kick, and which I consider possibly my favorite bottle sauce.

If you get a bottle of cowtown, you can try this:

rub spares
cook spares
let spares rest in foil while you crank up wsm
paint on cowtown and put back in hot smoker, 20-30 min until sauce sets
before serving, give ribs a slight sprinkle of rub

*best that hadn't come off my wsm

Back