Chipotle Orange Chicken

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
This recipe makes a chicken suitable for tacos and works well if a reheat is required. The quantities here are sufficient for 6 birds (max for a wsm). I suggest serving the pulled chicken on a flour tortilla with avocados, cheddar, and chipotle mayo.

Orange Brine

2 gallons water
2 lb brown sugar
1 ½ cups Morton’s Kosher salt
1 large can of concentrated frozen oj

Inject 1-2 ounces of brine into each breast, thigh, and leg. I like to make slashes in the skin in various places to insure the brine makes it past the skin. Brine overnight for 8-10 hours. After brining, rinse bird well and allow to drip-dry before adding spice rub.

Chipotle Spice Rub

1 1/3 tbs salt
2 tbs coarsely ground cumin
2 tbs coarsely ground coriander seed
1 1/3 tbs coarsely ground black pepper
1.5 tbs chipotle powder
1.5 tbs ancho powder
Ground dried zest of one orange

Apply about one tablespoon of rub per chicken, making sure rub gets under skin, use slashes in skin to access the meat.

Smoke roast the birds with desired wood. I prefer fruit woods (apple and cherry) so they don’t over power the orange.

If planning on serving the next day, remove the meat from the carcass and add the bones and skin to a stockpot. Cover the bones with water, and simmer for several hours. Strain and chill the stock so that the fat can be separated. This stock can be added to the chicken meat during the reheat. Reheat in a covered roasting pan.

more info here

J first off thank you for posting this recipe. I am going to make your chicken taco's tomorrow using my WSM. I see you said that you had issues getting the temps over 300*. I am planning on using the clay pot in the water pan so I think that might help for my situation heat wise. My question is how much K charcoal should I use to do this? Also what method for starting the fire do you suggest? I was going to use the minion method with one 3/4 full chimney lit and one 3/4 full chimney unlit under the lit. Also what target temp should I cook the chicken at? Just trying to get it all straight before I go at it tomorrow. I now have to get the brine going so I have some time. I will be making three whole fryers using cherry per your directions. I am going to use beer can chicken stands. Is a can with any juices required or just the stand? I am really stoked!!! Thank you. Vince

Vince, I guess you posted this twice to catch my eye. I suppose the info I provided in the other thread is more important here.

more info relating to cooking this recipe

If you come up with any mods or suggestions, post them here, so they are with the recipe. But be sure to give the recipe some love with a bbq post (w/pics!) too.
icon_wink.gif

Back