Throwdown #11: Shellfish

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
As winner of Throwdown #10, Dwain Pannell has the privilege of choosing the ingredient for our next throwdown...and he's chosen SHELLFISH! Think clams, oysters, mussels, scallops, shrimp, lobster, crayfish crabs, etc.

Let's run this throwdown through Sunday, March 17. Let the competition begin! Good luck!

Regards,
Chris

Wow, that's a lot of possible throwdown's thrown into one big lump.....................d

Hope this will be a good one! Not my cup of tea..But im sure it will be a great one. Shrooms is right up my ally,but i still dident compete soo...Good luck to all..And make this one count!

Even though I have the absolute best ingredients available, I must excuse myself from this battle. My camera decided to stop working during the last round of global warming here in Middlesex county. I may not enter another challenge untill I can buy a new camera.

We're over two weeks into this throwdown and only 1 entry so far...who else is going to step it up and take on this challenge?

Regards,
Chris

Camarones ensenada

Here is my entry...CAMARONES ENSENADA.

I apologize for not having more prep pictures :( . My daughter was using my iphone and somehow she deleted my prep pictures. :( She is forgiven after all she is Daddys little princess. :)

Here is what I did.

Roasted 6 cloves of garlic then finely chopped. Chopped half a bunch of cilantro.
In a bowl mix together the garlic, cilantro, 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup cheddar, 4 oz of cream cheese. Add 1 tsp of black pepper and mix together.

Wrap the shrimp with bacon and the stuffing mix.

1362332048.jpg

On the grill in direct heat and almost done...

1362332050.jpg

They are done..

1362332051.jpg

My favorite picture...
1362332151.jpg

Some yellow tortillas...(this are real good)
1362332153.jpg

Plated with some refried beans and rice. Some red salsa. Enjoy!!!

1362332061.jpg

Last edited:
Midwest Surf and Turf

Pulled out 2 small lobstertails from the freezer, open them up and dusted them with Paprika. Add 2 small cuts for ribeyes steak.
Fired up the redhead on a sunny Wisconsin day:

The guard dog monitoring the cook:

First check:

Almost done:

The finish:

Dig In:

Nothing fancy...just something GOOD!
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Some really nice entries so far, they all look delicious - hope to see a few more. Thanks to a severe shellfish allergy in the family, I'm living vicariously through everyone's cooks!!!

Everything looks great! Oooooo I have a wonderful scallop recipe and another shrimp one. Let me see if I can get in it here before the 17th. Yum!

Laura

Man, and I just grilled lobster tail tonight! It was amazing delicious. If only I'd known, I'd have taken a pic to enter it. ;)

Hopefully more soon -

Laura

All of these look awesome, I bought some frozen baby cuttlefish at the huge Asian grocery down from my house. I guess those count as shellfish right? Wikipedia had them listed as mollusks, and they had mollusks under shellfish but I wanted to make sure before I try to grill them. Haven't found a prep for them yet online so if they wouldn't make a fair shellfish entry I won't enter them in this comp and cook them somehow else later down the road. They were $8 so I wanna cook em right and not waste em, that's expensive for 12 oz. of a dern ugly mollusk! Gotta get on it though since I only got four days left in this competition!

Okay, here's my favorite grilled Shrimp recipe - garlic lemon majoram -

Here are my lovelies, sitting in a marinade for a couple of hours - olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, majoram, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and tons and tons of garlic.

4159109a-7120-4893-a643-e1eebb4b29a5_zps2dcd45c7.jpg

Here they are on the grill -

ffd892a1-e813-42ae-b9e3-29843a5a61d2_zpse7851c96.jpg

It was Surf n' Turf night and so my big ol' steak stole center stage - also I was so excited and hungry I totally forgot to put my grilled onions and mushrooms on my plate to go with the steak -

87ba53f1-7d5f-4ef8-b701-894eeb91aa6b_zps02584c46.jpg

And here's my leftovers for tomorrow - yum!

5dc06817-45d4-4c74-8f7b-fc77106cfb56_zpseb868bab.jpg

If nothing else, thanks for the opportunity to make my fav grilled shrimp recipe! My tummy is full and happy. I'll see if I have time to throw my grilled scallops in before Sunday.

Fun!

Laura

This is my entry into Throwdown #11:

I did a Shrimp Bruschetta with Limoncello Appetizer, a grilled Lobster and Avocado Salad, Island Shrimp wrapped in Prosciutto and Pineapple Skewers, a Pan Sautéed Scallops with Garlic Aioli Sauce, and Red Potatoes tossed in Garlic, Rosemary, and Chive infused oil and Parmesan Cheese. Everything was prepared on a 22" OTS.

IMG_1427_zps742549ef.jpg

IMG_1420_zps16575baf.jpg

IMG_1425_zps31a938a5.jpg

IMG_1422_zpscfeff0a3.jpg

IMG_1419_zps8e77eb0e.jpg

IMG_1415_zpsdbc9fd1f.jpg

Last edited:
All of these look awesome, I bought some frozen baby cuttlefish at the huge Asian grocery down from my house. I guess those count as shellfish right? Wikipedia had them listed as mollusks, and they had mollusks under shellfish but I wanted to make sure before I try to grill them. Haven't found a prep for them yet online so if they wouldn't make a fair shellfish entry I won't enter them in this comp and cook them somehow else later down the road. They were $8 so I wanna cook em right and not waste em, that's expensive for 12 oz. of a dern ugly mollusk! Gotta get on it though since I only got four days left in this competition!

I would be hard pressed to offer a good scientific answer, so yes and no. Seems to be more in the squid family, as pertaining to this cook.....at least that's my thought, whatever that's good for..............d

Back