Food Saver, Which One Do you Have?

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
I bought a food saver from one of the big club stores and I didn't have very much luck using. Maybe it's because I'm Curly and not that C A T smart. :)

Which one do you have and do you like it?

As I get ready to do more bacon and quantities of meats I would like to keep as long as possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I can't find my model. Mine looks similar to this one but mine has a few more buttons and is white. Is yours not sealing well? A couple of tricks I use, double seal each end and when I put stuff in the bags fold over the bag to keep the area where I am going to seal the bag clean from sauce, rubs etc. I don't like the one l have either. I just picked one up without really researching them. Mine overheats really easy so its a pain to use when I have a lot of stuff to seal. I'm waiting for it to break so I can get a better model.

I took mine back. That's exactly what happened John, I couldn't get it to seal, AT ALL, brand new out of the box. I got frustrated and took it back. I have a little hand held made by glad, it works well in small quantities but I need something bigger, of course :)

I guess I'm going to have to do some research and check reviews myself also. Let me know if you find anything comparible and I'll let you know what I find. Thanks John.

I would love to know a good model out there that does what it's supposed to do SEAL! I've probably had 5 over the past 3 years, none seal everything right. Anything with any moisture in it like ground meat, roasts, chicken pieces, wont seal air tight at all! It draws the moisture out and either wont seal or seals with air inside. I've tried double sealing and still the same thing. Also if the food is not consumed in a few months the bags leak and freezer burn will set in. I think all were Food Saver models except 1. Prices up $250 for 1 model we had a few machines back! I've returned them and gotten new of the same model like Food Saver said and still the same thing happens. Also talking to there tech. people they say NOTHING raw will seal well! Contradicting all advertising! For best results freeze meats first and then seal. While I dont have the room to have open bags freezing in the freezer waiting to seal. I know a commercial sealer is probably going to be in my future, but I'd rather not spend $500+ on a larger sealer. I would love to hear your guys thoughts.

I have owned a Cabela's CG-15 for about 3 years and have found it to be one of the best tools in my arsenal. Unfortunately the CG-15 is no longer available from Cabela's but, a company named Weston makes the same sealer only under their name. Sorry I don't have a link for Weston but you can find it on Goggle. If you want a sealer that really works and will not aggravate the hell out of you, check out the Weston. I think it's going for about $419 & free shipping. I hope this helps.
Bill

Ok I found it Westonsupply.com Weston 2300 Vac Sealer

Last edited:
Bill, Weston makes pretty good stuff from what I understand. More on the commercial end. Do you have to use there bags? And how does it work as far as drawing moisture out say ground meats?

I can use just about any bags with my CG-15 but I order the 50' rolls from Cabela's and make the size I need at the time. When it comes to moisture getting in the pump, I keep a good eye on that and have not had a problem as of yet. If you put meat in a bag and freeze it for about an hour than vac it's no problem. I have not done that but some I know do. As far a lose of moisture in the meat goes I have not found it to be very much.

I just got a Weston a couple weeks ago. They were down to $340 on amazon.

I used a Foodsaver mini for about 5 years that was given to me by a family member. It was small but worked great. Maybe because it was simple it worked better than the other foodsavers.

So now I have a the Weston. First, it's huge. Unless you have a very understanding wife like I, this thing isn't sitting out. Second, it's wide. You can seal 2x 8" wide bags at a time.

Three, it's quick & powerful. It also has a manual stop & seal button if you are sealing something delicate. And last, the seal is ridiculously wide.

I really wish I hadn't waited so long to get one.

No issues with any types of bags. I got some of the weston bags and like my foodsaver rolls better. I can usually wait for foodsaver to email out some special deal and get the rolls or bags at a cheap price.

Ray gave me a great review of it here http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13241-Vacumm-sealer-recommendations&highlight=sealer

I just looked on Amazon, $410. I don't think I can pull the trigger in that puppy right now, but I've said that before also ;)

This is how big it is
IMAG1777_zpsf86bb488.jpg

Back