Storing Roasted Chile Peppers?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I want to roast my own chile peppers and put them in a jar for future use. Do I have to add anything to them (oil?) so they last longer or just roast them and put them in a jar with whatever juice they have?

No, you are not wasting the post. Here's what I'm talking about. I bought some fresh Poblano peppers the other day and roasted them in the oven under the broiler and put them on a pork sandwich. What I want to do is roast them either with the broiler or on the grill and put them in a jar like the ones you can buy at a grocery store and put them in the refrigerator. Do I need to add oil or anything to the jar so they last longer?

Peppers are a case where burning is good - very good.
icon_wink.gif

I usually roast about six of them on the grill till they're black all around, turning them as soon as the skin on one side is burnt.
I then put them in a bowl and cover it for about 20 min.
Next, I pull them apart into quarters, removing and discarding the seeds and ribs (saving the juice that is released).
Now, place the sections flesh-side down on a cutting board, peel off the burnt skins and layer the strips in sealable storage container. DON"T RINSE THEM - you'll only lose that great smoky flavor!
The key thing here is to salt each layer, pack them fairly tightly and then add the reserved liquid after the last layer.
Finally I add enough EVOO on top to seal it.
They will keep like this in the fridge for about a month.
The key thing here is to make sure, when grilling them, that all of the skin is burnt (even the stem and blossom ends) ensuring that any decay-causing organisms have been destroyed.
Those found in stores have been high-heat processed and have a similar shelf life after opening as these will have.
This is absolutely the best way to do peppers.
These are absolutely fabulous to use in dips, hummus, dressings, on hors d'ouvres and in salads.

When Hatch chiles are in season, I roast as many as I can. I then vacuum seal them and freeze them.

Back