Heat control

Habanero Mike

TVWBB Member
I gain 20 degrees or more when I lift the lid for 8 to 10 seconds. When foiling ribs I will be up to 310 when I was holding 275. From lifting the ribs out and then putting them back in I will have raised the temp twice.

I am using Royal Oak natural lump because, I have a bunch from my Primo. Could this beet burning too hot?

I stopped using water in the water pan after Harry Soo said he does not use water but I think this might make it temperamental?

Is possible to have too big of a fire? I use a half of a chimney to start my cook.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about it. (I cook ribs at 325-350 on purpose.) It should settle.

I haven't used water in the pan for most cooks in quite a while. I wouldn't say it makes the cooker more temperamental but it does mean, because of the lack of a heat sink, that you might need to be a bit more focused on the cook periodically.

Temps might spike a little if the lid is briefly removed but should settle back shortly.

RO is fine to use. It - or other lump - will not burn 'too hot' if the intake air is restricted.

Yes, it's possible to have too big a fire. In that case, though, temps shoot up high and are difficult to control. That you're able to hold 275 suggests that this is not the case.

Nah. I've never made mushy ribs. Hate those - as much as I can't stand fall-off-the-bone. Foiling as a last step - or as any step ? mushy ribs as long as the time in the foil is controlled.

So you do use foil? Ha...do you use St. Louis style or the full rack or baby back. How long on the Q and how long in foil?

Thanks,
Mike

I use foil probably 75% of the time. I use it primarily to add a flavor layer (I make juice reductions to add to the foil), which isn't something i am always looking for.

I cook STL- cut spares most of the time, backs on occasion. I always Minion the start to allow for more smoke time and for ring formation, so the time is a bit more extended than it would be if I were using a standard start-up. I cook unfoiled till a nice rich color is achieved and then I foil - with the reductions, as noted - and cook just till tender while in the foil. I never sauce ribs during cooking but sometimes will glaze after tender is reached. Glazed or not, about 5-7 min on the grate after foiling is all they need to restore bark texture. Total cook time runs, usually, 2-2.5 hours for backs, 3.5-4 for spares, although both will come in in considerably less time if the cooker is already up to temp, say, if I cook them immediately following another cook, which happens on occasion. Foil time is 30-55 min depending on whether it
s backs or spares, and depending on how cooked they are when they first go into the foil. Since I cook till tender in the foil, and not past, they never end up mushy or FOTB.

Thanks Kevin good stuff! Just curious what method do you use to test for doneness… hopefully it can be done without opening the foil?

Back