Setting Up Your WSM's

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Classes

Greg P.

Harry:

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of our questions. I missed the BBQ Pitmasters show as I don't watch much television but have caught a few clips on the TLC website. Hopefully, these are not redundant questions that may have been answered in the episodes:

1. I see that you use 2 WSM's. Perhaps you could briefly explain how you set up each.

I imagine you do brisket and pork on one and ribs and chicken on the other.

2. Would it be giving away any "Slap Yo' Daddy" secrets to divulge the temps you are using in the WSM's?

3. Do you use the Stoker for just temperature control or do you also use it to monitor your meat temps?

4. Did you make any modifications to the WSM's (eg. larger Brinkman water pans)?

I am trying to convince my wife to take our summer vacation to Southern California this year. If I can persuade her to do so, perhaps I'll attend one of your cooking classes and will keep looking at your website for the Summer 2010 schedule.

Thanks again for your time.

Hi Harry

First I loved the show and enjoyed having a west coast guy on there.

My question is a lot like Greg P's. How many WSMs does it take to do KCBS? Do any of them do double duty on more than one meat?

Thanks.....Griff

My KCBS and IBCA setup secrets are as follows:
WSM1 250 degrees - 1 brisket top grate; 2 butts bottom grate; I use an Green EggXtender (folding grate) placed on the top grate if I cook 2 briskets which I sometimes do when it's a big $$$ contest or I want to try a new brisket recipe or someone placed an order for BBQ brisket
WSM2 275 degrees - 3 slabs of St. Louis top grate on a rib rack; 12 chicken thighs bottom (KCBS) or 4 half chickens (IBCA)
When I cook/test at home, I do it the old-school way without my Stoker as I'm too lazy to set it up and then clean and pack away. On the road, I don't leave home without my Stoker. They are extremely reliable and I'm using the same unit I first started in 2008. Call John Jackson and mention I asked you to call him (http://www.rocksbarbque.com/) and he'll take care of you. You'll need several doo-dads which he will include which will make your setup easier versus you trying to order online.
I use two standard WSMs without any modifications except the use of the Stoker System. Read the other posts about how I'm too lazy to put water in my pan.
I've had students from all over (Hawaii, Minnesota, Texas, etc.) attend my cooking school. Some have done it twice and I have one who's done it three times since June 2009. They must like to eat my BBQ or I'm just a lousy teacher? Send me an email if you're interested in my class. Every class has been sold out ahead so book early.

Back