Anybody using their mini like a uds?

Jason N.

Hi guys

Any of you guys using your minis like a uds? I'm talking about bottom cut out of pot, no diffuser, no water pan/drip pan. Basically nothing between the fuel and food? Just like a little drum?

Reason I ask is I love the taste of the juices and fat dripping straight down on the coals. Last few days I've been toying with the idea of building a mini uds. Then I realized, DUH, I've already got one! But I've been using a diffuser and drip pan.

I'm gonna try it. Anybody doing this?

Thanks, Jason

I've never tried it that way, even with my wsm. I'm sure the smell is, but is the taste that discernible?

Oh yes definitely discernible! The dripping fat turns to steam, providing a moist environment and really flavors the meat. It's one of the main things that folks like about a drum style cooker. I love it!

The distance was my main concern too. I've got my grate right at 7" above the coals. But I'm thinking of installing a second set of bolts just under the lip, giving me right at 11.5".
My goal is to make my mini my "go to" chicken cooker. I'm wanting golden, crisp skin but not getting it.
I cut the bottom outta mine. I've been using the steamer plate as a diffuser, set right down on the ridge. Then I took 4 ss bolts, installed them in the plate, giving me about a 3 inch standoff to set a aluminum 9" pie pan on to catch the grease. While I have no prob running anywhere between 220 to 320+, I think I'm running a little too indirect, if you will. I've been able to get nice enough exteriors on my fatties, not my chicken though.

What do you guys think?

I've been using the Kettle for chicken lately. Chicken goes closer to the fire around here anymore. Just wasn't happy with the skin so I more grill it than BBQ it. Here's my last bird

IMG_1289_zps62d7f417.jpg

Nice! Looks good. I see your grilling indirect. I've got a 22.5 kettle I can use. Then again I can throw'em on the smokey joe without the pot. I've always been a smoker. Never fooled with grilling much at all. So I'm gonna show my ignorance by asking if you had the lid on during the cook or not. Also can you give me an idea how long it might take to grill a half chicken?

Thanks!

I normally do use the lid when cooking. I place the chicken very near the fire, and in fact place it over the fire a few seconds to get the full effect from time to time, but generally near the fire and rotate it as it cooks. I guess technically it is indirect, surely more indirect than direct.

To tell the truth, I dunno how long it takes, I go for looks/feel, then probe for temp. I'd give it 30 minutes or so, maybe more, if I had to guess.

In fact, I'm thinking about using a 16 gallon drum body instead of the pot. The drum itself is roughly 27" high so I will be able to hang ribs in it, use it like a UDS, no deflector.

Well, I picked up a new 15 gal drum yesterday. Originally, I was planning on turning it into a mini-UDS (like most do with these little drums) but now seeing how well the drum fits in the kettle I might as well turn it into a tall boy mini-WSM. If I do this I will replace the legs with something more robust, WSM style.
Nice thing about this drum body is I can easily hang 3 full slabs of ribs without getting the bottoms get too close to the coals.

P1060975_zpscef3a6b6.jpg

Last edited:
How much do the 15 gallon drums cost?
Well, they're a little pricey at $43, but they're brand new. I've purchased a 55 gallon reconditioned drum from the same people for a lot less money.
I see you're in Whittier. Call them....Ditty Containers. These guys are located on Rosemead Bl.

Back