Coffee makers - Keurig

Don Reed

TVWBB Pro
We just bought one the other day and I was wondering how many have them, do you like it and just what kind of grind does it take to make fresh ground beans have the same or bold flavor as the K-cup?

Just got one for my wife for Christmas, really like it, havent tried anything but the cups yet, the velvet moon espresso is my fave.

Love mine had it for 2 yrs. I'm hooked on the dunking donuts blend, Starbucks medium blend and hot chocolate.

While on this topic, anyone have a grinder for a good price that they recommend?
I agree the keurigs are really nice.

My wife and I are pretty much hooked on the Newmans Own organic as for the coffe grinders, I have 3, 2 of them are the standard blade kind which is now dedicated to grinding dried peppers, they work alright but you have to regrind a few times if you want your coffe finer. Then we were in Costco a few weeks ago and they had a Cuisinart burr grinder on sale for $29.00 which is adjustable from very fine to very course and will hold 1/2 lb of beans as well as grind up to 18 cups at a hit. It also has an automatic shut off, thats the grinder I like and thats why I was asking about how to grind for the Keurig but I guess if you could grind your own to taste like the K-cup no one would buy them.

Nantucket and Donut House are my favourites...
after having these coffees, machine coffee at work is only hot dirty water

I like the Green Mountain brand, Nantucket and Breakfast Blend. I also like to use my own grind. I bought the plastic "K-Cup" that has a lid that comes off of the top. They sell small filters that fit inside of the cup that has a flap on it. I fill the filter, inside of the plastic cup and fold over the flap and snap on the lid. I use this method throughout the week and treat myself on the weekend with the Green Mountain variety. You can save a lot coin by using your own jo, ya know? ;)

I like a light roast.
My favorite coffee is Papa Nicholas Hawaiian Blend.
I use it in the Ekobrew cups.
ekobrew275.jpg

I also like Donut House, but a new favorite is Costco's Kirkland Breakfast blend.
In the store here it's about $38 for a 100 count box.

Gene, do you use a fine or corse grind? The little book that comes with it says to use a course grind simular to French press but I cut open one of the spent K-cup and it looked like a fine grind. I know I'm pushing Costco a little but I went on the Keurig site and checked out the price for the 80 cnt box and can get the same size case for $20.00 less at Costco. We have a Bunn for larger go cups in the morning and hit the K-cups in the evening. I like my coffe a little on the bold side.

Don, sorry about taking awhile to respond, it's hard for me to find time to post. I just use a fine grind straight out of the container. I don't have a membership at the clubs.

You know the thing about these Keurigs are, the cost per cup is out of this world when you calculate it out. Just a regular old can of coffee costs about 3 to 4 cents a 8 oz cup. the best price I've seen for the Keurig is that breakfast blend (weak) for $38 for $100, which is $41.00 out the door. That's 41 cents a cup. when you add in amortizing the coffee maker that's 5 times what a normal one costs, the cost per cup rises even more.

Now you certainly can use the refillable K-Cups, but Imho they are a PITA *** to be cleaning after every cup, especially if you have a few cups to brew at the same time, and I'm not so sure you want to be running the used grinds down the sink if you have a septic system as well.

That all said, the worse thing is, with our Platinum, even set at the hottest setting of 192 degrees, with my Thermopen, I measure the coffee coming out at ~175. By the time it hits the cup, it's easily down to 165. Seems alot of folks complain about the coffee temp and Keurig stonewalls folks, probably due to libaility reasons for having it so cold. That or the plastics they use can't handle the propert temperature. From what I can tell, most brewers prefer to have the water set around 200. Either way, as it is, within 5 minutes or so, it's in the microwave for a warm up.

If it wasn't for the wife, I'd return the doggone thing.

Last edited:
I love mine! When Pammi bought it for me,she also bought a refillable basket. Works like a charm!
For the K-cups,I like the Green Mountain breakast blend and Donut Shoppe. I also like the Newmans Own. At Sam's,you can get an 80 pack for $38. That last me about two months,so long as I use the refillable one in the morning for work. :D
And I just use a regular grind for the basket.

My wife and I have gotten spoiled with this thing. Like a few of you we don't use it for every cup. for our morning go cups we have a BUNN and use the Keurig for in the evening when we only drink a cup or two and like Phil we picked up 3 of the 80 cup boxes at Costco it is definately cheaper than the grocery.

I'm on my 3rd Keurig. they last us about 12 - 18 months. My wife gets the cups from Keurigs site and builds up points. By the time the unit wears out we have enough points for a new one
Try the sweet tea. Brew it over ice. Add a packet of sweet and low for really sweet tea.
I just bought a French Press. Still missing with it but its making some good coffee so far.

You can cut the price in half for your first 4 boxes of k-cups (20-24 per box size) by registering your product with Keurig cutting the price down to $0.34 to $0.45 each depending upon which flavors you buy. You have to register and then will email a coupon code to be used for an online purchase where you buy 2 boxes and get 2 free. They seem to have periodic “sales” but the savings are not very much.

Read a lot of reviews and it seems that the problems with short product life can be reduced or eliminated by buying one of the office models as the pumps in office machines are designed for more uses and therefore last longer. Sometimes customer service might give you a hassle for using and office product in the home but the intent is to reduce the odds of having to contact customer service for problems in the first place.

I have never been able to get a decent brew without using the prepackaged K-Cups. Either the coffee is watered down or it turns into a mess. My favorite blend is the 'Sumatran Reserve'.

Back