Favorite/Best Food Processor?

SW Flynn

I did a search and read through this section, but could not find a post on everyone's favorite food processor. So, sorry if I'm repeating something.

I need a food processor. I don't anticipate doing the fancy foo-foo stuff that some will do, just slicing/shredding/chopping....and I can't spell puree.

So, I would appreciate any recommendations, either for or against!

Thanks!
Steve

We used a Cuisinart for years and my wife liked it but when the bowl cracked we found out a replacement bowl would cost almost as much as a new processor. We checked the reviews on the internet and Kitchen Aid seemed to hold a slight edge over the Cuisinart so we got 1 of those. It works good and doesn't have the clumsy safety interlock that the Cuisinart had (we know not to put our fingers down where the slicing is happening!) and is a lot easier and quicker to load.

We picked up an 11-cup (I believe) Kitchen Aid a few years ago based on the Cooks Illustrated review - they seemed to like it the most, and it wasn't too horribly expensive.

Has a mini-bowl that fits inside the big one so you can do smaller quantities (although our mini-prep food processor does it better). No complaints at all, aside from the fact that the sucker is HEAVY, and the place we decided to keep it isn't the easiest to store it. (And that would be why our KA Pro 600 stand mixer is permanently on the counter)

Jarrod

We picked up an 11-cup (I believe) Kitchen Aid a few years ago based on the Cooks Illustrated review - they seemed to like it the most, and it wasn't too horribly expensive.
Has a mini-bowl that fits inside the big one so you can do smaller quantities

Sounds like the same one we have. I'm leery of the clunky safety interlock thingy poking down from the main cover. I think it might break if I man-handle it while washing it. Nice machine overall otherwise.

I have a Cuisinart Mini Pro. Had for over 15 years. I emulsify meat with it for meat loaf as well as a host of other duties. It's been great but I can't recommend it because they don't make that model anymore. My wife had a B&D when I met her, it was nowhere near as good. I would buy either Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart if I were to replace mine.

Tim, I have never heard of that make but I sure like the storage design. :cool:

Me too. I just ordered the 4 cup continuous flow model. Not exactly sure what I'll use it for, hoping it works good for salsa at least. I only have a very small chopper.

Turns out mine is actually a 7 cup not 15 as per the link. I was washing it today and broke a tab on the spindle that holds the blade on. Only $6.99 for a new one AND $8.20 to mail it to me! I just hope we never break the bowl or lid as those are the only 2 parts we can not get.

Oh great TJMartin - Now I've just cancelled my order. I think I looked at the one you linked - looks good - I almost got it! (just now)

I don't mean to hijack this thread (sorry in advance!), but what are these things capable of? Can I cube potatoes? I see slicing, shredding (cheese/cabbage), but what I fear is pulverized pulp. I'm watching youtube videos and the control of the cut isn't apparent to me just yet.

TJ, that is a great looking food processor, but I think you might be let down by a 7 cup model. I know that with my 13 cup that when making coleslaw the cabbage fills the bowl up MIGHTY fast. I think it would be a hassle to have to dump and work in batches, and a 7 cup seems to me would have to have that done pretty frequently if you're making enough food for several people. And the Kitchenaid and most other brands come with a mini bowl for making smaller batches of things, like hummus, dips, garlic mincing, etc.

Here is the one I have, and I got it at Belk with a coupon that I had for around $165 tax and all. I am sure you could find a 25% or better coupon somewhere and for $65 more you'd have all the size you need and the thing will last for a decade or more. I think I even put mine on a new Belk card that day and got an extra 10% off. Just had to wait to pay for it for a few weeks when the bill came, but that was a plus! Then cut up the card!

That said though, Cuisinart would last just as long or longer than a Kitchenaid, but I would definitely look into something 12 cup or bigger.

BTW, if you plan on making dough, the 7 cup would shake itself off the table. Even my 13 cup which is fairly large and powerful shakes quite a lot with my brioche dough. I bake bread ALOT, and it is my second (if not damn close first) passion next to smoking and grilling, and I feel that a 7 cup would have a rough time making an amount of dough that is sizeable enough to work with.

Back