Hi All- new smoker here

Hung Ly

I've been lurking for a little while, so I thought I'd stop by to introduce myself. I live in Oakland, CA and got the 18.5" WSM jin early November so that we could host a family Thanksgiving at our place for the first time. I did a dry run of a 13lb turkey that didn't go so well so my wife was stressed, but I worked out the kinks and got an 18.5lb turkey for the big day. Worked out great and got rave reviews- it was a sexy bird!

I am basically addicted, and I think about the smoking all day and as I drift of to sleep. Since TG, I've done whole chickens, beef jerky twice, ribs (BRITU rub with Bone Sucking Sauce from a jar + honey to glaze), tri-tip (Chimichurri rub), salmon, and pre-cooked ham. A few "learning opportunities," but also a few stellar outcomes.

Below is the Chimichurri rub I used (found on Epicurious.com). I couldn't find dried "savory leaves," so just skipped them. This was amazing on Tri-tip, and they say it's also good for chicken and pork. I applied the rub and let the roasts rest on the counter about 45 mins prior to them going in the smoker.

2x 2.5 Tri-tip roasts only took 1hr, 10 mins on the smoker at 230*, which was much faster than I anticipated and as a result they got a little hotter than I was targetting (145* after reverse sear and resting). This was ample time to get a good smoke flavor, aided by the rub which I think absorbs smoke very well. I used a large Mesquite chunk and 3 small-medium Pecan chunks.

What's your experience with Tri-tip smoking times? From what I read, I planned for about a 2hr smoke, so it threw off my timing a bit.

Chimichurri Dry Rub:
3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
3 tablespoons dried basil leaves
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried savory leaves
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 to 2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dry-Chimichurri-Rub-240753#ixzz2IonEghy6

Welcome to the forum Hung Ly, you'll like it here, that is really fast for tri-tip at that temp, did you check the temp at the grate?

Welcome aboard Hung! Sounds like you are having a ball with your new WSM. Did I mention that we like lots of photos? ;)

Welcome to the forum Hung Ly, you'll like it here, that is really fast for tri-tip at that temp, did you check the temp at the grate?

No I was just looking at lid temps. What's a good way to check grate temp? I have heard others use a polder through a cork or something like that and rest it on the grate. Is that effective or do you have another method you like?

No I was just looking at lid temps. What's a good way to check grate temp? I have heard others use a polder through a cork or something like that and rest it on the grate. Is that effective or do you have another method you like?
I usually use a cheap oven thermometer that you can get for cheap at most supermarkets.

I figured out how to add pics so here are a few from by Rib trial.

I did two racks of loin backs on the top grate. These I did for three hours then basted with frozed OJ concentrate before wrapping tightly in foil and transferring to the oven. They went another hour at 350* and came out VERY tender and juicy.

IMAGE_D33466D4-13FE-4F4C-8400-5BB699E445A2.JPG

The other three rack of loin backs I finished on the WSM and basted with Bone Sucking Sauce (store bought) mixed with about a 1/4 jar of honey. They stayed on the WSM for about 15 mins after a healthy basting. These came out a tiny bit less juicy, but the flavor kicked butt. My favorite thing so far on the WSM, but I'm kinda new to this. I think that these modified BRITU ribs and the Chimichurri Tri-Tip are going to be featured at my Superbowl party.

This is a pic of the ones that I finished on the WSM:

IMAGE_8528DBEE-A398-4892-86E6-14A14A631149.JPG

Back