How well does your Vasconia pot fit?

Jason N.

Hello!
My sjg showed up today. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed. First thing I did was a fitment test with the Vasconia. The lid fit fine, no complaints. However the bottom didn't fit as well as I thought it should. I don't know how everybody else's fit, so it's hard to say if mine's a little loose or about right.

I was expecting a nice and tight positive type fit. It fits decent. I guess I was expecting it to be a snug fit. Probably will work fine. Seems stable enough. But there are a couple of spots that do have slight gaps.

What do you guys with the Vasconia pots think? Does this sound about right?

Thanks, Jason

Last edited:
Jason,

I have never had a problem with the Vasconia pot and fitting tight. Once you load it with meat, the pot will fit nicely as the added weight will make it heavier. It can be bent a little if you need to as it's rather thin. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Hello!
My sjg showed up today. To be honest, I was slightly disappointed. First thing I did was a fitment test with the Vasconia. The lid fit fine, no complaints. However the bottom didn't fit as well as I thought it should. I don't know how everybody else's fit, so it's hard to say if mine's a little loose or about right.

I was expected a nice and tight positive type fit. It fits decent. Probably will work fine. Seems stable enough. But there are a couple of spots that do have slight gaps.

What do you guys with the Vasconia pots think? Does this sound about right?

Thanks, Jason

Reckon over time the seasoning will help seal it some? Btw, I haven't fired it up yet. Still have to cut bottom out.

Mine fits like a glove -- pretty tight in fact. If your is loose, I imagine with a few cooks it will seal up.

Edit: I ordered mine from Amazon but no idea where it was made.

Last edited:
i have differant brands including the wal mart ones and they all fit reasonably in the sj's. no, non of mine are a snug or tight fit. but they fit well enough that they are reasonably stable.

Thanks George! That's helps my feelings a bit! That's exactly how I would describe my fit. This is my first one, so I wasn't sure how well it should fit.

This particular build is special to me. My boy (he's almost 4) has been asking me to build him a "barrel" like daddies uds. Figure we'll fire it up tomorrow. Throw a fatty or two on to season it. Shoot I'm just as excited as he is!

i have differant brands including the wal mart ones and they all fit reasonably in the sj's. no, non of mine are a snug or tight fit. but they fit well enough that they are reasonably stable.

George, do you have any leaks around that area? I suspect though that with the weight of the food and the seasoning, it outta seal up pretty good.

On both mine and my son's, the pots have a little bit of play but they seal well enough that it is not a problem. Niether shows any trace of smoke leaking from around the bottom of the pot. Both leak some smoke from around the lid. It is possible to seat them crooked into the Smokey Joe bottom, but it is visually obvious.

Last edited:
jason, no leaks. you migh get a wisp or so if either the draft is wrong or you just plain have to much smoke. again, small leaks are just not an issue.

George, I'm a believer! My boy's new mini took its maiden voyage today. Christened it with a fatty.

You guys were right on about the leaks. There were no leaks anywhere! I even ran my maverick lead under the lid and it didn't leak there either.

I couldn't be happier with its performance! Being weaned on a uds, I'm used to rock steady temps. I know it sounds like bs, but it held at 232 degrees for more than two hours. During start up I got it dailed in at 230, and it must have liked it because it just stayed there.

I'm thinking about losing the lid holder rod that holds the intake covers on. Believe I'll use a bolt thru the holes an use a small spring to hold a little pressure on the intake covers.

I'm really happy. I just built a killer smoker for about 65 bucks! :)

a thought that seems to have eluded me. if you have stability or leaking or whatever issues you can run a bit of foil around the sj lip and this will fix that.

Thanks George. That's a good idea. Yeah I was really impressed! There were absolutely no leaks anywhere. It held temps even steadier than my uds, and that's saying something!

Back