Sorry, But another comparison question about the 18 or 22

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
I just got the approval from my wife to pull the trigger on a new WSM. I thought I had my mind made up on an 18. I just want to make sure I don't regret not getting the larger 22. Has anyone out there gotten the 18 and then regretted doing so? I'm sure the 18 will be fine for now. But, I do have future plans of trying to open my own Barbeque restaurant, which will obviously need more than a WSM. My problem is that I over analayze every large purchase to the point of self doubt. Help!!! and thanks

I've had both, and they are both fine smokers. If I was buying one just starting out, I would probably just buy an 18 and save some cash. A lot of it depends on how much meat you cook at one time. You can cram an 18 with plenty, but the 22 obviously goes above and beyond that.

As for the restaurant, I agree you'll need more than a wsm or 5.

OK, my 2 cents. I started out with one 18 for just two of us. Then needed one more because having friends over or friends wanting me to cook for them one wasn't enough. Ended up getting a Backwoods Fatboy to be able to even put more meat on. This thing grows on ya. Then comes the high temp brisket and putting on a 15 #'r and figuring out how ya have to foil the ends to keep from burning. Then having to do 12 racks of ribs with just the two 18's (I know can be done). Now comes the 22 (R4D4). Brisket fits. 12 racks of ribs (using rib racks on both bottom and top grate) without having to bend the ribs. Now I haven't done that yet, but certainly possible. A whole package of 24 chicken wings spread out only on the top rack (that I have done). A whole pork loin (3 pieces) spread out only on the top rack. A turkey should probably fit better. It just goes on and on.

I got rid of one of the 18's and now use R4D4 primarily just for my wife and I. Have to force myself to use the 18 just to keep the yukkies out of it. Plus, when I cook I'm always doing more than just the current meal. Ya have to have lunches for work too.

A friend of mine just picked up a 22 at WalMart for $299 (sorry Chris, but I did order mine through here as well as all Amazon purchases).

Yes, we also do competitions and am looking forward to using the 22 for them (did use for Fire on Ice). But even without doing competitions I am glad R4D4 is here. You just need to think down the road when you say to yourself "I wish I would have gotten that 22".

Dan

Dan makes some very good points. I should add that I no longer own my 22" since I decided to purchase a much larger smoker for competitions and larger gatherings.

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, you won't regret the 22".

Lots of good points made hereon. I have both an 18" and a 22" plus a 24x48 Gator and 5 Kettles. I can cook for several people or for several hundred, so your end use and of course, your funds should assist you in your choice. IMHO, you won't be sorry to acquire the larger 22"...especially since you are thinking of a bbq establishment. Good luck.

joe

the 18 is a great cooker but the only problem i have with it is having to shove the lid down over the end of a nice brisket or not being able to lay out racks of baby backs out flat without cutting em up. im ordering my 22 friday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan N.:
A friend of mine just picked up a 22 at WalMart for $299
Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, are you sure? For that price I'd send Chris $50, buy the one from Walmart and still save 50....can you link it?

Walmart.com is currently selling 18" for $299, 22" for $399, both with free shipping to your nearest Walmart store. Same deal as Amazon, except Amazon ships to your front porch, and purchasing from Amazon using the links on the homepage helps support TVWB.
icon_smile.gif

Chris

Back