Jumbo Joe

I was thinking about it on my 06 SJP, but then I got a 18.5" WSM in 08.
I seen some huge stock pots pretty cheap @ Meijer a few weeks ago ($25.00) that looked about 18"

Tim

I've got a 22" WSM and a mini that i used today to cook one tritip roast. I was thinking an 18" mini would be good for a single brisket or several drunk chickens. It would be a huge savings in charcoal for small cooks.

I was thinking the same thing George.. but if someone already had a JJ or SJP and can score a right sized pot (on the cheap) it could be do-able.:wsm:

Tim

It would be but at a fraction of the cost......besides cooking on something I've built myself increases the feelings of self satisfaction for me. Besides it becomes a great center of conversation not to mention that in over six months of lurking on Craigslist I've come across one used WSM.

of course it would be much cheaper if one already had a jj. but a pot that size that fit well would be hard to find or be cheap. one could make up a "pot" with sheetmetal and this would allow one to customize the height. i'm not against doing it, just wondering about the cost, etc. maybe easier to find a barrel that would fit ? if i was doing one i would probably choose the sheetmetal route. it took me two years to find a well used wsm. what is the actual diameter were a pot would fit on the jj ?

A Pro Q stacker would fit a jumbo joe. You can see one here. One of these would run you anywhere from $40 to $60. The biggest tamale pot from IMUSA is the 50 qt, but it's still too small for the jumbo joe and 18" kettle; measures only 15 3/4" diameter.

only if it will fit and i have not read much about 30 gal drums. would love to find one also. like i said it would come near a cost of a used wsm but then if you have the supplies handy and the time and tools, why not ? i have seen many being built on some german sites. guys seem to be rather handy there making whatever they want.

A Pro Q stacker would fit a jumbo joe. You can see one here. One of these would run you anywhere from $40 to $60. The biggest tamale pot from IMUSA is the 50 qt, but it's still too small for the jumbo joe and 18" kettle; measures only 15 3/4" diameter.

Has anyone tried this ...does a Pro Q stacker fit a Jumbo Joe? I know it fits a WSM but aren't the edges different on the lid and mid section of the WSM vs the Jumbo Joe?

Bumping this thread...

Background:
Two weeks ago I built a Mini WSM with my Smokey Joe Gold and a 32 quart tamale pot.
While shopping for that project, I "happened" to buy a Jumbo Joe on sale at Target.

I like the size of the Jumbo but would like the option of more headspace for a big bird or to move the cooking grate farther from the heat, so why not a Midi WSM? The Jumbo legs are narrower than the kettle, so for transport the Jumbo could nest inside of a pot up to about 12" deep. Just like the Mini, pot size will need to be precise to fit in the kettle, hold the Weber grates, and have the lid fit.

Went shopping on my lunch break today- there are some discount kitchen supply wholesalers/retailers a couple blocks from work. I didn't have precise measurements but I do know that the so-called 18.5" Weber cooking grates are about 17-3/8" across.

Found some likely suspects:
64 quart $40 Tamale pot similar to the 32 quart models, but much bigger (mostly wider, a bit taller) Appears to be the right size at about 17-1/2" across, not sure if it is big enough to hold the Weber rack inside.

40 quart "Winware Professional" sauce pot for $56 without lid. (Also on Amazon Prime for the same price- obviously the shop checks the competition!) This looks ideal for my use if the size is correct. Aluminum is very thick and the height is 10" which should be good for roasting, not as a smoker.

Back