Hello All

Brian Scott

I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I have been smoking meats for over 20 years and gone through 3 cheapo Brinkman smokers in that time. I've experimented with all kinds and cuts of meat. Even developed my own dry rub recipe.
Since my third Brinkman smoker is on its last legs I have been researching my next smoker. My initial thought was to buy a propane fired rig. Well after many months consideration and hours of reading I finally decided to go with the WSM 18 1/2". Several facts influenced my decision. After looking at the propane fired units in my price range I decided that I couldn't afford a quality propane unit. I am not rich enough to spend a thousand bucks on a smoker. Also many folks said that charcoal makes for the best flavor. Which makes sense to me. The Weber Smokey Mountain seems the best bang for my buck.
My WSM is due to be delivered on Monday and I am jazzed! I plan on doing several of the modifications suggested on this site. To begin with, as I assemble it I'm going to add handles to the center section and also a port for my thermometer probes. My thought is to use threaded lamp "pipe" and rather than drill a new hole for it. I thought I'd use one of the holes used to mount the rack supports. Does anyone see any problems with doing this?
Eventually, probably this spring/summer, I want to build a cart and table combo for the smoker. As most of my yard is lawn and my garage where the smoker'll be stored is detached from the house (meaning the unit will be rolled around the yard before and after use) I'm thinking bigger wheels than small casters will be in order. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to being an active member of this forum and hope to make some new and lasting friendships.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

As a seasoned food smoker already I`m sure you will be able to do great things on the WSM.. Welcome to the board and post lots of pics of your future smokes.

Drilling a small hole for the pipe is really not a bid deal and I was hesitant to do it. Same day it came I ended up doing it though. I added handles to mine utilizing the existing holes for the grate supports and thought it would be pushing it with a pipe threaded through there too. If your adding handles how are you planning on attaching them?

Your going to have fun with it for sure.. I used to be a Upstate NY person from Rochester ( Fairport) area glad to see people from my old home town on the forum

You are going to be very happy with the wsm. Welcome aboard. You'll be collecting kettles and gasser's soon.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My WSM arrived yesterday and is all assembled awaiting my first cook. I wound up adding the Genie Garage door handles using the hardware and holes supplied by Weber. I also put a couple big u-bolts on the lower rack. I took one of the cooking grates from my old Brinkman, turned it ninety degrees on the charcoal grate and wired them and the charcoal ring all together.
I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do for my temperature probes. The lid fits nice and tight so I don't want to just run them under the lid. I notice that if I install the access door upside down there's a nice gap in each top corner of the access opening to run the wires through. I'm going to try doing it that way for my first cook and see how that goes. If that doesn't work out I'll try something else. Can anyone see a reason not to do this? If so please let me know.
I hope to put this baby to work before the week is over.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do for my temperature probes. The lid fits nice and tight so I don't want to just run them under the lid. I notice that if I install the access door upside down there's a nice gap in each top corner of the access opening to run the wires through. I'm going to try doing it that way for my first cook and see how that goes. If that doesn't work out I'll try something else. Can anyone see a reason not to do this? If so please let me know.
I hope to put this baby to work before the week is over.

Hey brian welcome. You can certainly do that , but the grommet mod is very easy to do , and drilling a hole in the side between the two grates is dead easy.here is a link to my post that shows it
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37341-WSM-grommet-mod-all-done!

But another way to go is to just cut a slit in the rim of the smoker and you can lay your temp probe wires in there and the lid won't pinch em....either way , you won't get much leakage of smoke or air.
Look on the mods page of the weber virtual bullet. I have a WSM and it is the bomb!:wsm:

Last edited:
Loving it!

Well I've had this bad boy for a little over a month now and I am very happy with it. I've done ribs a couple times, smoked some sausages, and most recently I did a couple of butts.
The thing I found most impressive is how little charcoal the smoker uses. When I did the butts, I had the fire going for about 11 1/2 hours in mid 20 F temperatures, had a bit of work maintaining 225 F due to the effect of the sun popping in and out all day. That really surprised me, there was as much as a 30F swing from sunny to cloudy conditions. I filled the fuel pan full using that guy whose name I can't remember's method. Once the butts were done I closed all the vents. After everything cooled down and I shook off the ash I still had about a third of the charcoal left ...... After 11 1/2 hours, ...... In 20 degree outdoor temperatures! That's impressive!
As far as access for my temperature probes I just turned the access panel upside down and strung the probes through the spaces left between the smoker body and the (now) top of the access panel. I also bent some baling wire to make hangers for the temp probe sending units and hung them off the handles.
Next I want to build a cart/shelter for the smoker. Anyone with suggestions besides those already posted in the modifications forum please add them.

Back