Alternate parts and sources (for RPi and Heatermeter 4.0)

Jarrod Igou

TVWBB Member
I posted the question and got answers here, but we'll open this up with its own thread as well....

As of this morning, referencing the parts lists:

Mouser is out of stock on the 10k trimmer resistor / pot in the project list

Digikey is out of stock on the header socket

And the wifi dongle at Amazon that was in stock all weekend for $9.99 plus free shipping is out of stock now.

Thanks to Bryan, Kyle and Dave (D Peart) I've ordered alternatives:

Wifi dongle
Newegg carries the same Edimax Wifi adapter , $9.99 with free shipping: Wifi Dongle

Bryan is also using this Rosewell adapter with good success.

Trimmer Resistor (aka pot aka potentiometer)
Mouser carries a Bourns-brand equivalent

Mouser also has a 20k value of the same brand spec'd in the project list (Bryan has used this value in a few of his builds): 20k Trimmer

Newark and Allied Electronics both show the spec'd trimmer resistor in stock, but I didn't want to pay full freight shipping for one piece. I swapped in the Bourns item with the rest of the Mouser parts for my order.

Header socket / connector
DigiKey is out of stock on the spec'd header connector. Bryan reported he looked this alternative version, and that's the one I've ordered.

I hope this helps others!

Jarrod

I finished assembly of my heatermeter last night, and all went according to plan.

NOTE: If you're planning on running the heatermeter in stand-alone mode, the alternative header socket / connector I linked above IS wider, as Bryan reported - and it's wider-enough that it would interfere with placement of the IC-4 voltage regulator. A couple of minutes with a Dremel will take the extra width off if necessary. (I did just that with no issues, even though I'm planning on interfacing with a Raspberry Pi anyway)

I'm putting together an order from Mouser/Digikey to build a HM 4.0 (w/Rpi) but some of the components are on back-order for months. I don't want to wait and I'm way out of practice on circuit design; I really need some feedback on some different parts I'm considering. I'm looking at replacing the following parts:

1) Part R8 - 680 ohm metal-film resistor, 1% tolerance, 1/4W (KOA on Mouser)
Replaced with:
680 ohm metal-film resistor, 1% tolerance, 1/2W (Yageo on Mouser)
Specs and dimensions seem similar; the power rating is higher (500mW vs 250 mW) and the voltage rating is lower (300V vs 500V) but neither gives me concern.

2) Part IC1 - DC/DC converter, horizontal mount (Murata on Mouser)
Replaced with:
DC/DC converter, vertical mount (Murata on Mouser)
Identical specs from the same manufacturer, seems to be the same component with different terminal lead orientation (straight vs 90 degrees). I figure I can just bend the terminals straight and mount as usual.

Any thoughts?

Edit: It appears both these questions have been answered here. Disregard.

Last edited:
Dangit, I already typed this so I'll post it anyway.

1) Any 680 ohm resistor is ok, 1/4W or 1/8W as long as they're below 6.8mm in length. I think Radio Shack carries them. Carbon Film is great too.I selected the metal film 1% because they cost less for some reason and are tighter tolerance. The code is written to allow for over 20% in tolerance.

2) I also recommend the vertical DC-DC converter I've been telling folks to just get those and bend the leads and I haven't heard anyone say they've had a problem so either it works or they're just really mad at me.

FYI, I never use the header socket, I just use 2 single row headers to save a few bucks.
I'm not sure why I don't just recommend that as the standard way to do it. It is what I used to build my first prototype and they work just as well, cost half as much, and are widely available.

I bet they come in taller heights too...

About to pull the trigger on an order. RJ do you have a link to the two single rod headers you bought?

I already have a blower so I'm thinking I'd like to avoid the Digikey order altogether ($8 min shipping for $4 worth of parts..). Has anybody ordered an alternative probe connectors and/or header from Mouser?

S7116-ND - header
CP-2508N-ND - probe connectors

Those are the digikey parts.

Thanks guys

Tim

Last edited:
I usually use one of these 1x36 then snap off the number of pins I need. Mouser tells me they're available in 2x13 as well which look like they'll fit as well. If you get the 2x13 let me know if I can update the wiki as an alternate part.

The probe connectors, I had such a hard time trying to find an economical part in a standard footprint that I ended up designing the board specifically to hold these jacks. I have no substitute for this part. Not that there isn't one, just that I haven't set eyes on a datasheet for one.

Whish I could find the part number but i used these instead. Again, i bought about 50 off eBay and they were originally a Mouser part. I like them because unlike the ones on the part list, these have end stops in them so you can't insert the 732 probes in too far.

IMG_20130501_150230.jpg

Last edited:
The 2 row header from mouser does work. Its a bit tighter than the others but it works well you just have to be a bit careful when pulling the two apart

well i tried to start a thread but no one commented so i am looking for help
i need replacement jacks, ones that i can mount on a dry box so they need to have the nut so that they are held on tightly
i need a fan connector, DC power jack, and probe connectors.
here is a link to the post i made with a picture of what i am going to do. well please give me a hand

does it matter what the voltage of the jack is rated for or the amps..... sorry i am currently trying to google an answer but getting alot of nonsense in the search

Last edited:

Back